Fitting TR7 wings

Hi

As the TR7 hasn't has much use this summer I decided to cut the wings off which were corroding around the wheel arches having first found a couple of replacements on ebay.  Fitting the new wing looks fairly straightforward as it bolts to the nose cone and A post for alignment and then a weld along the top where the wing meets the inside of the engine bay.  This is conveniently under the bonnet and out of sight.  But what about the wheel arches?  I have a repair panel from Rimmers for the inner wing to provide the inner lip of the wheel arch, again all out of sight but I then need to mate the inner and out wings around the wheel arch itself.  When built according to my trusty Repair and Operation Manual this is attached with 24 spot welds.  I'm reluctant to drill a perfectly good panel and plug weld where the panel is so vulnerable to future corrosion.  I'm sure some of you will have done this before so what do you advise?

Any help would be much appreciated

Ian

Get yourself a spot welder if you want to do good panelwork and use weldthu primer on the joints to help against corrosion.

Stuart.

Thanks for the reply.  This is my first attempt at serious panel work on a car but anxious to give it a go.  Anyway I have already cut the wings off so need to put them back on again!  Seems to be £500 - 600 for a spot welder so I'm going to see if I can hire one for a weekend, or else I'll have to buy one.  

Thanks again

Ian

17 hours ago, Ian L Mould said:

Thanks for the reply.  This is my first attempt at serious panel work on a car but anxious to give it a go.  Anyway I have already cut the wings off so need to put them back on again!  Seems to be £500 - 600 for a spot welder so I'm going to see if I can hire one for a weekend, or else I'll have to buy one.  

Thanks again

Ian

This would do you and sell it on again afterwards. Spot welder

Start.