Has anybody experienec with Synthetic Motor Oil? To date I have always used mineral oil with Triumphs. I am now having a difficulty to find this type of oil without paying exorbitant price. Many years ago, one warned me not use sythetic oil, as it is not made to be used with our engine's large tolerances. Perhaps after so many years something has changed for the better. My type of driving does not need anything special like Duckams etc.

i'd stick with a mineral 20/50 with decent ZDDP levels - something like Classic Oils Heritage 20/50 which is a fair price and confident in its product to put the ZDDP value nice and clearly on the label.

i'm sure other views will be shared on this evergreen topic :) 

...... Andy

They do list shipping to Germany - although it does hurt the price for just 5l.

if you wanted 25l (perhaps as a group-buy) that would work out at £22/5l delivered to Germany, that is pretty good.  

Bob,

Peter is pulling your plonker, he just wants it expressing as Zinc as a ppm proportion in ZDDP. Should be in the range 1100-1300 ppm.

Is that it master ?.

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, Peter Cobbold said:

What's ZDDP ?

Peter

:)  Fortunately, Classic Oils capture the levels of Zinc present in their product (as ZDDP) appropriately on the label. I didn’t think it worth adding any more to a well-worn path.

...... Andy 

Triple QX 5w40 Fully synthetic. Zn 1100PPM. Has Boron & Mn Mo so has enough anti-wear.

Porsche A40, VW 502 00, MB 229.3, Ford WSS-M2C937-A, VW 505 00, MB 229.5 Approvals. Not much is better.

API SN, ACEA A3, API CF, ACEA B3, ACEA B4.

Less than 23 Quid for 5L. Much cheaper than M1 FS 0W40. No need to change at 3K miles. 

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/triple-qx-fully-syn-5w-40-a3-b4-5ltr-521776031

Edited by SpitFireSIX
Added link
3 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Bob,

Peter is pulling your plonker, he just wants it expressing as Zinc as a ppm proportion in ZDDP. Should be in the range 1100-1300 ppm.

Is that it master ?.

Mick Richards

Mick, would I ever raise the question of ZDDP in jest ?   :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Bob,

Is that it master ?.

Mick Richards

Yes Mick - and Andy - exactly.

Also if an oil is safe to  use in classic with a catalytic converter it will be too low in ZDDP for TRs.

'nuff said, newer forumites can search for the original looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong thread.

Peter

55 minutes ago, SpitFireSIX said:

Triple QX 5w40 Fully synthetic. Zn 1100PPM. Has Boron & Mn Mo so has enough anti-wear.

Porsche A40, VW 502 00, MB 229.3, Ford WSS-M2C937-A, VW 505 00, MB 229.5 Approvals. Not much is better.

API SN, ACEA A3, API CF, ACEA B3, ACEA B4.

Less than 23 Quid for 5L. Much cheaper than M1 FS 0W40. No need to change at 3K miles. 

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/triple-qx-fully-syn-5w-40-a3-b4-5ltr-521776031

Benefits:

Ultimate oil for high performance engines

Low drag which means more power and lower fuel consumption

Reduced need for top-up through lower evaporation at high temperatures

CATALYST COMPATIBLE ! 

Specifictions: ACEA A3/B4, API SN/CF, BMW Longlife-01, Fiat 9.55535-M2, GM LL-B-025, MB 229.3/226.5, Porsche A40, Renault RN0700/RN0710, VW 502.00/505.00

If the Zinc content isn’t enough to poison a catalyst it ain’t enough. I can’t find a site that will give the Zinc in ZDDP  numbers for it, can you supply a source for your 1100 ppm figures given ?

Mick Richards

Hi Mick,

I have never seen it advertised as "CATALYST COMPATIBLE !", why would it be? Do you think it is? I also run it in a Euro 3 engine with no problems to catalyst.

The data on the oil was difficult to find, but I have found the data sheet & I sent the virgin oil for analysis. I can PM what I have or post her?

Iain.

50 minutes ago, SpitFireSIX said:

Hi Mick,

I have never seen it advertised as "CATALYST COMPATIBLE !", why would it be? Do you think it is? I also run it in a Euro 3 engine with no problems to catalyst.

The data on the oil was difficult to find, but I have found the data sheet & I sent the virgin oil for analysis. I can PM what I have or post her?

Iain.

The catalyst compatible for the Triple QX is what they advertise on the link you posted, all I did was change it to capitals so it stood out.

The reason the oils had their Zinc levels dropped dramatically in their ZDDP was to stop catalyst failures in the modern cars starting to arrive on the scene in the 1990s onwards. It was rare to hear of camshaft and cam follower galling ( gouging) before this happened, the high level zinc ZDDP in oil was very effective in preventing it happening in wide cam follower engines with high pressures ( eg TR engines) and afterwards many engine shops were suspicious that the change in formulation could have had an adverse effect on it. Having an oil which is catalyst compatible means it’s likely got very low ( they describe it as being optimised) zinc levels in any ZDDP and possibly more susceptible to the described damage above. It also allows the oil companies to sell their same oil across many customers in the market.

Almost all oils now remove reference to ZDDP in their literature, if you can post your information here it would be useful.

thanks Mick Richards

14 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Bob,

Is that it master ?.

Mick Richards

1587334253_Doh!.jpg.4de50bc794b65315063ceb3c710321f3.jpg

in 2016 I did some research on synthetic oil.

Castrol Edge Titanium FSt 10W60 ZDDP: 1080

Liqui Moly Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W60 ZDDP: 1200

Mobil1 Peak Life 5W50 ZDDP: 1100

Valvoline VR1 10W60 ZDDP: 1300

I currently drive with Castrol Edge Titanium.

Jochem

Edited by JochemsTR

The problem with a lot of synthetic oils for classics is twofold.

1) Lack of ZDDP with the risk to camshaft life

2) The wrong viscousity - most are too thin and impact on oil pressure and leaks.

However if they are the right viscousity and ZDDP content they have theoetical advantages over blended mineral oils in that you can get the exact compund to work with the viscousity modifiers to allow better protection and longer oil life. 

Our cars tend require frequent oil changes as the oil gets contaminated relatively quickly - the tolerances and the fueling are not tight enough so get oil changes relatively frequently relative to mileage. And many are driven those who are afraid to go over 50mph lest their blood boil or something breaks on their car so any theoretical enhanced protection is never going to be tested. How many of those uprated TR engines with balanced bottom ends, gas flowed heads, tubular manifolds and fast road cams get North of 3500rpm?

34 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

. And many are driven those who are afraid to go over 50mph lest their blood boil or something breaks on their car so any theoretical enhanced protection is never going to be tested. How many of those uprated TR engines with balanced bottom ends, gas flowed heads, tubular manifolds and fast road cams get North of 3500rpm?

Standard cam but all the rest here and regularly have the rev counter way into the red ;):lol: and often in top overdrive tooB)

Stuart.

2 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

Duplicate

Edited by Motorsport Mickey