Sounds like you have the wrong needles too if you can only get the mixture correct at tickover and it goes weak at revs.

Stuart.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:59 PM, Ian Vincent said:

I agree with Stuart.  What needles do you hae fitted?

Rgds Ian

The needles fitted to the carbs were at first a mystery, but finally identified on here as an American made equivalent to SM, so I left them in. However I have bought some new SM needles to put in this weekend when I do the new springs and change the dashpot oil, so will see if they make a difference. Might do them one thing at a time to see if I can pin down the problem. 

Ralph.

When I had my car tuned on the rolling road at Revington last summer they set it up with SY needles.  It was slightly rich at idle but spot on at higher revs and ran as smoothly as it ever has.

Looking at the profile for an SY needle it is richer towards the top end.  See attached image.

Rgds Ian

image.png.325b27bff0cbff09f578ce527ff5f76c.png

Edited by Ian Vincent

I don`t know what springs it had in, but compare the old springs on the left with the new ones on the right.

Old had 36 coils, new have 33.

Interestingly both the old and the new are different lengths on each pair.

20201121_144332.jpg