TR Spares Development Fund - Website

TR SPARES DEVELOPMENT FUND (SDF)

On behalf of the SDF’s committee, I am delighted to announce that the SDF’s website (trsdf.uk) is now live and open to visitors.

This website has been created thanks largely to the voluntary effort of SDF member Darren Cummings.

This gives me the opportunity to announce that Julian Garrett, long-time TR4 owner, has taken over as the SDF’s treasurer on the retirement of Dave Gibson following his 13 years of excellent service.

Within the next fortnight, I am expecting to be able to announce the availability of yet another item produced, like the thermostat housings for the very early TR2s, thanks to the efforts of the SDF.

Ian Cornish, on behalf of Ian Gibson, Ian Brown, Roger Hogarth, Julian Garrett, Darren Cummings, and the SDF’s advisers: Pete Cox, Alan Graham, Tony Sheach & Dave Gibson.

Edited by ianc
Missed Alan's name!

Great Stuff.

Thank you Darren and Julian.

Will there be a click through from The TR Register main site home page under 'Community' or 'Resources' or 'Membership'?

Cheers

Peter W

Long Time NSF member

Dear Peter,

I am hoping that the TRR's committee will allow this link to be made since, after all, both TRR and SDF want to preserve the marque and maintain TRs on the road.

Ian Cornish

Very good, just had a look through the projects area. 

When entering the "Members" area I am asked for a password. I am a member of the SDF, ( & the new spares fund !) where (or when) will I find or be sent the password ?

Bob.

Dear Bob,

We have to have parts of our website for storage of data required to run the SDF.

However, because of Data Protection (all bow down & grovel) the SDF's membership list cannot be available to anyone other than those needing access to deal with membership enquiries and suchlike - which means, in this case, our treasurer (Julian) and myself.

GDPR is, frankly, a pain in the backside, but we have no choice but to conform.

Ian Cornish

OK , no problem, I just though there was more info to be read as a member as opposed to the general public.

Well done to all concerned, a very professional looking site.

Bob.

I echo Bob's congratulations on the initiative and to all involved.

I too, as a member, was a bit confused about the Members and Committee tabs. Perhaps something could pop up, or a summary page open there to explain rather than just ask for a password?

Rod

Edited by Rod1883

What a great initiative that was then!

The TR 4-cylinder  owners around the globe have benefited from the people that took the effort to keep this initiative alive, which has not always been easy as I read it.

Here is a direct link:

https://trsdf.uk/

Cheers,
Waldi

Let us not forget that out of the original New Spares Fund discount to NSF members scheme came the 'We pay your club membership' scheme, when NSF discount was stopped.  A brilliant initiative by Pete Buckles that benefits both TR and MG owners.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/club-subscription

Peter W

A very good point, Peter. 

Many folk fail to realise that under Pete B's often brusque exterior lies a heart of gold, and his contribution to maintaining the marque and keeping TRs on the road is inestimable.  Without the efforts of Pete B and Pete C over many decades, there would be far, far fewer TRs on the road today (well, perhaps not this day, because of lock-down and the pouring rain!).  

There are very few parts, especially the MOT-critical parts, which are not available off-the-shelf, and if Moss hadn't been producing all those hundreds of TR4A cylinder heads, how many of the 4-pot TRs would have been scrapped by now?

And what about the Rebuild on a Budget Scheme?  I'm not sure it assisted C&B/Moss's finances to a great extent, but it kept a great many re-builds going when owners were far less affluent than is the case nowadays.

I have been fortunate to have known both Petes since the very start of the TR Register, have worked with them over the years to make things happen (I'll not bore you with chapter and verse, but the Projects section of the SDF's website gives some clues) and I am amazed and very grateful for all that they have achieved for us.

Ian Cornish

And, as Pete W says, you can still get your annual TR Register subscription paid by MOSS if you spend a certain amount of money. eg If you were to buy a new TR 4 pot crank from them that would automatically qualify you for that offer! (Details are always in TR Action)
Ian

• 2 weeks later...

As requested, the main website Parts Quality page has now been updated to become a page called TR Parts Quality and Supply and includes a link to the new TR SDF website and our own forum:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/pqi

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/forum/56-best-tr-parts-sources/

Mick

• 2 months later...

The TR SDF has issued a Newsletter in which the Fund's activities during 2020 are described.  The Newsletter has been emailed to SDF Members, to all Group Leaders in the UK and around the world, to members of the TR Register's management committee, Registrars, and to the TRDC as we worked with that club on the TR7/8 Front Panel.

A number of Group Leaders have circulated the document within their Groups, which strikes me as a good idea. 

I thought it might be helpful to post the Newsletter here for others to see, so here it is - and there's more on the SDF's website trsdf.uk.

TR SPARES DEVELOPMENT FUND                       

Preserving the marque and keeping TRs on the road

YEAR END 2020

2020 has been a year which most of us will wish to forget.  Paradoxically,  for the SDF it has been a year of considerable activity for our small band of volunteers, and a year with a number of notable achievements.

TR4A Cylinder Head 511695

This was and remains by far the largest of our projects, and, with more than 749 having been sold by Moss, has ensured that many of the 4-pot TRs which otherwise would have been abandoned or scrapped are up and running (or being re-built).  Definitely upholding the SDF’s guiding principles: Preserving the marque and keeping TRs on the road.

Crankshaft for 4-cylinder, wet-liner engine

Following the successful proving of the prototypes, Moss is having the basic machining  undertaken in India, but the machining for bearings, oilways etc. is being undertaken in the UK to the engineering data – this will ensure that the finished article will be of the same quality as the cranks produced by Triumph from the 1950s onwards.  Three cranks were successfully completed in 2019, and Moss ordered a batch of 50, which are moving forward with finishing, costing and marketing. 

TR7 & TR7V8 Collapsible Spacer UKC979

The SDF managed to obtain a good, used specimen, identified the material and, in conjunction with Rimmers, found a company which was able to reproduce the part, which will shortly be on sale from Rimmers.

Early TR2 Thermostat Housing

Production was limited to 50 units, and these went on sale as Part Number 201522KIT – it will be first come, first served. 

The units are available from Pete and Tom Cox at Pete Cox Sportscars

email: enquiry@petecoxsportscars.co.uk

Early TR2 Rear Lamp bezel

The small batch of sets (pairs) of the Chrome Bezels 572249 were sold rapidly and were despatched to America, Italy, New Zealand and the UK.

TR4 Left-hand lower crash pad grab rail 805757/808732

This refers to Part 805757 (pad, crash assembly, facia bottom, LH, RH steering!) fitted at the base of the dashboard on right-hand drive TR4s, and has long been unobtainable.  The SDF obtained a pristine original and is working with a major UK supplier in reverse engineering the product. A second item has been despatched across to the USA to a company interested in investigating remanufacture.

TR7 & TR7V8 Body Panels

The SDF has worked with the TR Drivers Club and Ex-Pressed Steel in order to guarantee the sale of a batch of 10 front assembly panels WKC4077, this being the part which incorporates the holes for the lamps, comprises two pressings, and is one of the first parts of the car to rot away &/or be damaged.  Despite the difficulties with which companies have had to contend in 2020, Ex-Pressed Steel completed the batch as promised in December; eight were sold immediately and it seems that all will have been sold in the very near future.  The successful sale of the whole batch will mean that TRDC can plan the next project, which will likely be a repair section for a wing – another part which rots nicely!

Reveal Moulding for early TR2 603177

Thanks to the generosity of Irishman John Reilly, the SDF was gifted a used 603177 and is investigating the possibility or reproducing this rather odd and unwieldy two-part item.  As it happens, Ian Gibson’s TR2 has always had this moulding, which should be helpful.

Small Tenax fasteners

From time to time, the SDF has investigated other unobtainable parts, including the small Tenax fasteners found on the sidescreen TRs – the larger Tenax are obtainable and are used nowadays on Morgans (well, of course!).  Ian Gibson is investigating fasteners by LOXX, a German company, to see whether some products could be used as an alternative.

Steel Wheels

Supplies of 4½J and 5J steel wheels in good condition for TR2 to TR5 seem to be running low, and especially as far as the competition-minded members are concerned.  One of the major and well-known TR suppliers has been approached and it is hoped that batch production may be organised at some future date.

TR2/3 Rear Aprons

Although new panels are available from Bastuck, investigation is underway with a UK supplier into the feasibility of providing repair sections in order to achieve accurate fit.

Alannid’s Cave

The panels which the SDF acquired from John Sykes, Richard Wray, Tony Sheach and eBay, which had been stored temporarily in Ian Brown’s and Roger Hogarth’s garages, were moved to a permanent and secure home.

SDF Treasurer & Bank Account

A successful hand-over from Dave Gibson to Julian Garrett was achieved at the start of the year, and, despite HSBC’s difficulties in making a simple change to the name of the SDF’s account, Dave and Julian’s persistence finally won the day!  We would like to thank Dave Gibson for 13 years of sterling service to the SDF.

TRSDF Website trsdf.uk

A great deal of effort has gone into creating, populating and maintaining our website.  We owe a deep debt of gratitude to Darren Cummings who offered to mastermind the whole activity, and is maintaining the site on a day-to-day basis.  In addition, Darren has been spreading the word through various other media such as Facebook.

Please keep an eye on this website, for it is where you will find the latest news of the SDF’s activities.

To complement the website, the SDF has an email address: info@trsdf.uk which can be used to contact members of the SDF’s Committee, to raise queries and to pass on information.  Darren monitors incoming mail on a daily basis, and forwards where necessary.

Parts Quality Initiative

Just a reminder that, in the first instance, the online PQI Report form: www.tr-register.co.uk/pqi should be completed.  The form asks questions relating to what an owner has already undertaken with the supplier as well as specific questions relating to product issues.  The forms are collated and patterns amongst the responses identified for action.

The only investigation undertaken in the last 12 months has been in relation to the quality of the hook in the bonnet release mechanism used on TR4-TR6, a submission initiated by a combination of user errors.  There are two reproduction versions, neither matching the original in design or material construction.  One version is somewhat less sturdy, but, following discussions, the supplier has agreed to modify the design for the future, although existing stock will have to be sold first.  The TR2 bonnet double latch is being remade by Russell Church (YOW500 n the forum).

The SDF’s Committee & Advisers

The Committee: Ian Cornish (Chairman), Ian Gibson, Ian Brown, Julian Garrett (Treasurer), Roger Hogarth.

Advisers: Alan Graham, Pete Cox, Tony Sheach, Dave Gibson.

BTW, there is no truth in the belief that to stand as a member of the Committee, one’s first name should be Ian!

Forward into 2021

As the UK severs finally its membership of the EU, and its populace gets vaccinated against the pernicious COVID-19, which has caused such devastation to the economy, education and so many lives, I would like to end this newsletter on a positive note.

The SDF has a strong and truly united management – where there are differences of opinion, these are discussed in an open and polite manner, with decisions being accepted by all.

The SDF is ever alert and is active - often unnoticed - and has achieved a great deal, particularly in the last couple of years.  The SDF has excellent relations with suppliers to the TR community – and this is vital for the way the SDF operates.

As SDF Chairman, and on your behalf, I want to thank all members of the Committee, our advisers and Darren for their splendid efforts, and wish each of you – our members - an improving life in 2021, with the hope that the gathering at Malvern in August will prove to be a truly memorable occasion.

Ian Cornish

────§────

Hi Ian, 

Thank you for the very useful information. 

The TR2 reveal moulding 603877 has to my knowledge and as far as I can see doing various searches, been described as fitted to late Cars not early ones. It's also shown as one piece and not two on the Rimmer Bros website. 

Some references say for post TS5300 which suggests approx '55 year cars.

I'm interested in this as my car is September' 55 and lost the moulding during a 1980's restoration - so I'll be in the queue if you are able to recreate it. 

Best regards Bob 

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Bob,

Indeed it is a single item for  the TR2. The TR3 is a two piece.

Roger

Like this.

Stuart.

Image103.jpg