Brown bible supplement

Hi All

Ref an earlier post about fuel tank removal & the workshop manual. Can anyone tell me if the info in the 'workshop manual supplement' dated 1972 was incorporated into the 2nd Edition of the Workshop manual also dated 1972 (the one on the Tr Technical document site). I'm interested if it contains additional info, particularly on the CR series cars.

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan,

Ignore the 1972 dates on the workshop manual supplement and 2nd edition of the Repair Operations manual.  The only edition of the workshop manual supplement that I am aware of was issued in 1969 and as its name suggest is a supplement to the TR4 Workshop Manual. The supplement does cover issues not included in the later 2nd Edition of the TR6 Repair Operations Manual in particular on bodywork and sealing however does not include anything about the CR series. The 2nd Edition of the Repair Operations Manual incorporates amendments 1 , 2, & 3 which were issued during the production of the TR6 and afterwards and includes information on the CR series. There was a later issue of the manual issued by BL Cars in 1977 which attempted to be a combined TR4 through to TR6 manual and this is called the Triumph Repair Operation Manual TR4, 4A, TR5, TR250, TR6. In theory this last manual should be the definitive version albeit I have my doubts.

Derek       

IMG_0915.JPG

Alan,

My copy of the BB is dated 1972, and described as "Issue 2", so maybe 2nd Edition.

I don't have such encyclopedic familiaroty that I can tell you all that was 'new' on CR cars, but I do that it includes different metering unit tuning advice.   When for CP cars, the view through port 6 was to see the rotor opening into the port, not closing it off at No.1 TDC, for the CR cars the advice is to see a full rotor hole, and then to turn it until it just disappears, plus "one extra tooth".      The reason for this is not explained, and any way, we know that they will run at almost any set up!

If you have any specific queries, I can look those up for you.

John

PS If you want encyclopedic, I'm sure that Derek can oblige!

Edited by john.r.davies

Thanks gents - good to know. There wasn't anything specific but I know the brown book & Haynes manual doesn't contain all the CR info. For example the dizzy (41542) & timing data for my car isn't described. My handbook states static 4.5 deg BTDC which doesn't seem correct. I've set it at 11 & seems to run perfectly ok.

Alan

I only have the white one in Derek's photo, and it appears to be comprehensive based on the info from John and Alan. The dizzy 41542 is included, and static timing is 11 deg BTDC. It also includes different metering timing instructions for CP and CR series cars, although I'm not clear on whether this results in different timings or whether they are just different techniques. It also includes CR-specific wiring diagrams, FWIW. The version available in the Members Area of the TR Register website (Issue v2) does not. Mind you, the timing order for 6-cyl cars is wrong!

John