EFI: larger plenum

CK,

One tiny, tiny quibble - the angle of your injectors!

They will spray the opposite wall of the duct, not the throat of the head inlet or the back of the valves.    That angle probably reproduces that in original throttle bodies, but with PI which is only very roughly timed to valve opening, so doesn't matter.     You're using modern injectors that can be pulsed accurately to coincide with valve opening, so not taking advantage of that.

John

23 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

No argument with the statements above, but I'd love to know where they come from/their authority.

TV8 - "the inlet liners the speed should be limited to 80m/sec."

and

trolleybus: "The volume of the plenum should be 85% of the swept volume of the engine"

Can you provide references, please?  Books, papers?

Hi John some of my knowledge is from Apfelbeck/Wege zum..... and H.Hütten/Schnelle Motoren.... and H.Hütten/Motoren.

Would recommend Apfelbeck to everybody who is interested in tuning because he is a guy that does the job with a pretty low machine equipment, that mostly can be arranged at home. Always with the approach as good as possible but also as cheap and easy to reproduce as possible with the help of some good ideas.

Ach, Zo!  Danke, TriumphV8!   Apfelbeck on "Wege zum Hochleistungs-Viertaktmotor: Ein Handbuch f??r Liebhaber und Tuner von Viertakt-Motoren "Paths to the high-performance four-stroke engine: A manual for fans and tuners of four-stroke engines" (Google trans)

But I am ashamed to say that I cannot read, let alone speak, German.      The ability in English of our colleagues abroad should shame us!   There is an opening here for a translator!

If you would like to read an eqivalent text in English, mine is "Four Stroke Performance Tuning" by A.Graham Bell.

John

Edited by john.r.davies
On 12/5/2020 at 5:04 AM, JochemsTR said:

I really do not want to overdo it on this topic, but I remain curious. and I am sure I am not the first one experimenting...

Any ideas or thoughts regarding the outcome of installing such a fan in the air intake, so actively forcing air into the plenum?

The fan would be controlled by the TPS Sensor, so no support during Idle, but rather during driving and WOT.

Jochem

PS Picture is a sample, ofcourse it runs with 12V

Fan1.jpg

Hi

Yes try a boat engine bay inline fan can do up to 235 cfm worked for me on Webers.

A recent post here together with a relevent reply, are way off topic and lets say

could be construed as less than friendly.

I have hidden both, happy to discuss with either party, or the subject in general in Alecs Inn.

John.

John makes a good point about spray pattern. My. Injectors are angled at about 35 degrees and the end of the injector is just outside of the ID of the inlet tube.  Guessing now, but the spray pattern goes across the whole inlet cross section and the end of the spray hits the opposite side about where the manifold hits the head. I do have sequential with the fuel pulse ending at 40 degrees ATDC on the inlet stroke. So the fuel pulse will see the flow during the injection pulse and the junction at the head is a high temp area, being so close to the exhaust, which would aid in the vaporization of any wall wetting. I did find this photo of different spray patterns.  Maybe someone could utilize the first pattern to shoot the fuel pulse right down the intake port.

8B5B68AF-62E8-411C-A933-C79103EAE7CF.jpeg

Learn something every day!    I'd never heard of the gamma angle injector, but apparently they can angle the spray by 5-25 degrees.   Leaving yours 10 from straight down the inlet, CK. 

The split is for dual inlet valves!

Thanks for the  seminar!

John

image.png.d410d8bc9e75075fd90a51d7db37c137.png

Edited by john.r.davies