Factory Fresh MGB

Who would have thought . . . .1980 car, 114 miles

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/9760854

The issue with a car like this is what to do with it.

If you buy it and start using it (as it should be) then the value will plummet as a rubber bumper MGBGT isn't worth an awful lot. There's a one owner from new 1981 GT in the latest MGOC magazine for just £5k.

To keep it's uniqueness would mean not using it, and what's the point. It probably ought to be in a motor museum somewhere.

I tend to agree

Keeping a very late model of any interesting car, in mint condition, on display for any and all to wonder/dream/scoff about, is probably the best thing

7 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

My first classic was a 1966 BGT, fyi)

My second was a 67 BGT... my first was a 65 MGB , looked stunning in ‘Triumph Mimosa yellow but I soon got fed up of Morris Marinas leaving me behind...the end came when a National bus went past me at full chat on the motorway...

Third classic (old banger at the time?) was a Vitesse............ Never looked back since<_<

Back in the 1970's .... TR owners would not mix with MGs and there was even a windscreen sticker saying "Keep the Kids and MGs off the streets" (Apple County origin, I think).   All humorous banter .....but what do the moderators think of this topic ?

Chris.      :rolleyes:

The MGB I got closest to buying was an early 1963 Iris Blue pull handle model with 3 bearing crank and narrow tunnel a few years back, that also had  a two character four number registration.

It needed restoration but was all original matching numbers, and was the convertible (not the GT).

If I had the choice I would still go this route rather than the above.

Kevin

My first running sports car was an 1965 MGB Roadster, with flared wheel arches (but standard wheels), a 1968 engine (so 5 main bearing) and a sort of Starsky and Hutch paint job. Bucket seats (so called because they filled with water), floors made out of Duckhams gallon oil cans, fuel tank mostly fibreglass... Best car I've ever driven in snow. By the time I sold it it was burning so much oil it was effectively running on two-stroke fuel.

Pete

I had a 72 square wheel arch midget, I could burn off the XR3s but not the XR3is, bit lively in the wet but what a lovely car, great gearbox, easy engine to uprate and cheap parts, and it had chrome bumpers, BAY300K owned it for 17 years, happy days!! Cheers, Andrew

On 10/3/2020 at 11:01 AM, Chris Glasbey said:

All humorous banter .....but what do the moderators think of this topic ?

Chris, this mod started the thread and as far as I'm concerned, we can (reasonably politely) slag off any other make we like, after all, that's why MG's were put on the road

On 10/3/2020 at 11:01 AM, Chris Glasbey said:

Back in the 1970's .... TR owners would not mix with MGs and there was even a windscreen sticker saying "Keep the Kids and MGs off the streets" (Apple County origin, I think).   All humorous banter .....but what do the moderators think of this topic ?

Hi Chris,

can't see a real issue for moderation, I think it is just good humoured banter, hopefully we could take similar on the chin if returned.

John.

In our local group we have a growing number of members who have gone over to the dark side. An MG TF, MG M-type and an MG PB. All very concerning. The owner of the TF has seen the light and is in the process of selling it and buying a very nice TR6, from the man who owns the PB. All very incestuous our group with people who swing both ways.

Mick

On 10/3/2020 at 6:01 AM, Chris Glasbey said:

As seen above, I have owned an MG and, although I enjoyed it a great deal, I think my TR4 is a superior car in every way I can think of.  If I didn't, I'd still own an MG.

I think there are many enthusiasts who are not marque-specific.  I'm not; by many measures, the Porsche 356SC that I owned was a FAR better car than my TR4.  And, if I had a bigger garage, I'd still own a Porsche (although it would be an early 70's 911 targa).  One of the very best gatherings here is the British Car Day (organised by the Toronto Triumph Club) where we get to enjoy many different makes - heck there's even some non-British classics that I like (German, Japanese and even American).

But I don't mind a bit of friendly banter (which I think this is) about which cars are better and why.  My best friend is clearly sadly misguided because he owns a Sunbeam Alpine and I'll always let him know that the TR is faster, more stylish and a far better choice.  I hope he sees the light eventually.

Until then, I'll send him a link to this thread.

Tim

1 minute ago, roy53 said:

But Tim then he will tell you that James Bond had an Alpine, never a TR

Yep in Dr No.

Stuart.

Good feedback from my earlier comment .....and yes , I do have friends who also own MGs but that is an affliction they have to deal with.   I enjoy touring events with a variety of classic cars and have organised a few of those in the past.   One thing that I find annoying is that when a magazine or paper decide to feature an event and they have space for one picture of as classic car .....they always seem to choose an MG !!!

Chris    :huh:

If I could afford and MGB-GT V8 I would not hesitate. My first car was a GT from ‘69, still the nicest mgb for me (sweet memories).

Waldi