TR6 fuel tank overflow

Good afternoon

Just had a bit of an incident which I don't want to repeat

Filled up (!)with fuel for a trip out yesterday and upon driving away could smell fuel - not uncommon with a TR6 but - I discovered a boot full of fuel, the overflow was draining into the boot and there was no cut off  at the pump

Scary stuff to say the least

What's the solution???

I know it may a bit of a vague description but I do need to get it sorted

Regards Peter (possible Firestarter!!)

The overflow should be piped through the boot either to an open end or in the case of a later car with carbs it will go to the carbon canister.

Its best not to brim the tank as it will spill on the 1st few corners or worse on a cold day it may expand once in a warm garage and overflow filling the garage with petrol vapour

George 

Edited by harlequin

Sounds as if you have a US style filler setup that should have a pipe from its throat to an expansion tank in the boot which was then routed round to the front to the charcoal canister from the EGR. Obviously hasnt been blanked off properly for UK PI car.

Stuart.

18 minutes ago, stuart said:

Sounds as if you have a US style filler setup that should have a pipe from its throat to an expansion tank in the boot which was then routed round to the front to the charcoal canister from the EGR. Obviously hasnt been blanked off properly for UK PI car.

Stuart.

Just need to find a schematic that shows the correct setup

Your overflow may also act as a vent, to let air in as fuel is consumed.    But it may also siphon fuel out if over filled.    A good practice is either to:

1/ use a long hose, that goes upwards as high as possible before being vented outside the boot.     Less likely to siphon, and cannot, even in the event of inversion!

OR

2/ use a one way valve in the line.     This will allow air to flow in, but not let fuel out.    These are widley available on eBay amd Amazon, EG

image.png.191f28f488c60560fbd1cde5ae602c36.png

Edited by john.r.davies
4 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Your overflow may also act as a vent, to let air in as fuel is consumed.    But it may also siphon fuel out if over filled.    A good practice is either to:

1/ use a long hose, that goes upwards as high as possible before being vented outside the boot.     Less likely to siphon, and cannot, even in the event of inversion!

OR

2/ use a one way valve in the line.     This will allow air to flow in, but not let fuel out.    These are widley available on eBay amd Amazon, EG

image.png.191f28f488c60560fbd1cde5ae602c36.png

Are you saying that the one way valve will go in the overflow line?

What am I searching on amazon?