convert to rhd

Which LHD model year and its original market?  But why? Are you going to use it as a daily driver?

Minimum items to replace or modify are:-

Timber dash

Metal dash

Steering column support

Pedals

Rack

Clutch cyl mount bracket etc

Hydraulic pipework

Loom

MPH speedo perhaps?

No doubt there is more

I used to look after a very early Damson '69 LHD USA spec TR6 and it was a delight, had not been messed with in any way.   The only mods the owner required were overdrive and a 3.45:1 axle. He did toy with converting to RHD but concluded it was expense for very little gain as driving on the UK roads was not a major issue.  Car now sold and lives somewhere in France.

Cheers

Peter W

I’m in the process in swapping mine. It depends on how much you can do yourself. 

I have converted the existing metal dash and you can but a “refurb required” wooden dash for next to nothing. 

rack swap is easy- just but a RHD version

steering relocation is metal bashing and welding. 
im replacing my loom so commuted to a new one. 

pedal box is most difficult. I’m yet to do this so I can’t report on that. 

all in all not an arduous task, just time consuming. 

im doing mine as part of the restoration. 

10 hours ago, Ian Eppel said:

Thanks.

Just looking at importing a 1979 from the usa.

So LHD in the uk no a problem I think.  What about adding value to the car? to convert?

Ian

Are you sure it's 79? AFAIK production ceased in 1976.

I m driving a rhd in france. No problem. When i sit in the tr6 my brain swichs... I will keep it rhd as triumph are uk cars,then rhd

converting a car does nt add any value, as tr6 are so many that there is no value. It can help to sell, but it is more true for a rhd converted to lhd ad the market is much bigger for that

My TR3 is LHD as it came back from the USA many years ago. Not a problem driving in the UK and nice when I drive it elsewhere. I would leave it as it is, drive it lots and enjoy it.

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey
29 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

If anyone ever sees me going through a McD drive through, in LHD/RHD or any vehicle at all, then you have my permission to shoot me as it will prove I have finally lost it.

LOL food for the gods not!

1 hour ago, JochemsTR said:

few things driving RHD in LHD country would annoy me

1. passing another car

2. going thru parking garage or toll booth and ticket stub comes on LH side

1 isn't a problem. 

2  isn't too bad as long as you can run round the car fast enough after paying,  to get in and drive off before the barrier closes again......... 

4 minutes ago, RobH said:

1 isn't a problem. 

2  isn't too bad as long as you can run round the car fast enough after paying,  to get in and drive off before the barrier closes again......... 

sounds like an “it’s a knockout” game

should be added to the auto test at IWE

I am driving a RHD her ein Germany even my first rollout with that TR ended in a frontal crash with a Volkswagen Golf. I got a new frame and was seriously thinking about a LHD-conversion. But I decided to let it like it is or get a new car. After driving that RHD-car for sixteen years now with trips covering whole west Europe including trips to its homeland I am very happy not to converse it and stayed with RHD.

Passing a car is a problem? For sure not.

But a parking garage is a problem and it pisses me off every time. But better getting upset about that than about my wife, so a perfect displacement activity.

But what I like: on small roads your are so much quicker because you can use the whole width of the street much better. And - if you are a extraordinary good looking guy like me with a tendency for a overestimating vanity - the show is always yours.

LET IT BE!