My New Car: ETM789D

I am the new owner of ETM789D a green TR4A, and I'm trying to find out a bit about it's history.

I would appear to be the third owner. I met the second owner who had it for about two years, but he had no knowledge of, and there was no documentation whatever about the first 52 years of it's life! I have applied for a heritage certificate, but not yet arrived.

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone got any knowledge of, or ever seen this car? Any snippets of information would be better than nothing at all.

Although it looks ok, the car needs quite a bit of work - it has had a questionable respray which I want to try and improve, it has some rust, and the mechanicals look their age (though I have just put it through an MOT, where amazingly I only had to re-attach a windscreen washer pipe!). I wanted a car I could gradually improve and tinker with, and that's exactly what I got.

So far I have added an emergency bonnet release and replaced a halfshaft as the splines and UJ had gone. I have found this forum invaluable, so thank you to all contributors. What a brilliant resource.

Alistair.

Welcome, your car looks amazing, mine is exactly the same although it looks like mine needs more work. The first job for me was to add the emergency release. The original colour of my car was Conifer which I was going to restore it back to but I have been out voted by the ladies in my family and she will now be going to white with a dark blue interior and soft top. Looking forward to the challenge over the next few years.

IMG_9187.JPG

Edited by Jase

Welcome to the forum Alistair. There are people here who can help with probably anything you ever wanted to know about TRs. I remain in awe of them, and I've been using the forum for many years.

Good luck with your TR it looks great.

TT

Thanks guys.

Jase - that colour change will be amazing! Mine has paint code 25 which I understand to be 'Triumph Racing Green', but I have also seen it described as conifer green I think. I plan to just try and tidy up a pretty poor respray where things that should have been removed were just (poorly) masked, and the whole of the engine bay is just a mess. I need to work out how to touch up '2K' paint.

Chris - I have emailed the TR4 registrar - hoping to get a reply soon.

TT - thanks.

When I was fitting the emergency bonnet release I had to undo the catch fitting to drill. When it dangled there was suddenly a shower of sparks as it touched the unprotected live terminal on the solenoid. This took me back many years to the last time I was under the bonnet of an old British car and reminded me what I was dealing with. So my next job is to put some rubber boots on these live connections, then put an 'FIA' type isolation switch on the battery which will also disconnect the LT coil lead (thanks again to someone on this forum where I read how to do it).

I will also get a fire extinguisher!

Alistair. 

11 minutes ago, Ali King said:

Thanks guys.

Chris - I have emailed the TR4 registrar - hoping to get a reply soon.

Alistair. 

Alistair,

Whatever you do, do not expect a quick/any reply from the TR4/TR4A Registrar. I sent him an email enquiring about a 4 I had just purchased on 16 December 2017, I sent him a reminder on 15 January 2018 and a further, reminder email, on 26 September this year. I have not even had an acknowledgement that he has received any of them.
I know the Registrars are all “volunteers “ but........

So do not hold your breath.

Graham 

Alistair 

Put a similar post with your reg number in the title, in the "TRs Re-United" forum lower down the page  - someone who may not look in the TR4/4A forum may have some info.

Also, contact the office and give them your car details to put on the system ( I think only they can do this now) and they may be able to access some more info as well

Cheers Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Try the reg number in google sometimes comes up with a mention.

Edited by RobG

Yes, it would appear that a post I read this morning criticising the TR4 registrar (maybe only interested in Dove's) from an experience he had, that led to a member leaving the Register?
A good move to delete that particular post
Ian