Re-tooled Body Shell >TS60000

I,m sure someone is likely to know this. Our car (which I've had for over 25 year and cannot quite remember exactly how long I've had it now) is a 22nd November 1959 car. Its commission number is TS59970L and has been converted to RHD when it came back to the UK. The body has the raised hinge mounts front and back but in theory at least its 30 prior to the change over. 

Does anyone know if the 60000 re-tool a fixed number or is this approximate??? Its not critical but Im interested to know. 

Thanks, 

Neil

One of my neighbours has an early 1960 3A with a very low 60000 commission number that has the raised hinges for the bonnet but the flat type on the boot, the car appears to be very original but after all this time who knows. 

My TR6 is a very early CF car but has a lot of features that are CC which I suppose is just Triumph using up the parts that were in the production line bins

George

8 hours ago, harlequin said:

One of my neighbours has an early 1960 3A with a very low 60000 commission number that has the raised hinges for the bonnet but the flat type on the boot, the car appears to be very original but after all this time who knows. 

George

I saw another 3a in Cambridge that had a pre 60000 commission number but was a later body that the owner was adamant was original body, so it does seem that the "Post 60000" numbers cannot be set in stone. Trouble is that unless you can find a genuine guaranteed original car it is impossible to be positive after all these years, so many have been re built with whatever was available.

Ralph

A lot of the supposedly "Post 60K" body features started to come in from late 58K on as they ran out of earlier panels.

Stuart.

Hi,  thanks everyone. I'm not too concerned if it's original or not. I've had it 25 years plus and only just looking at these things now so it's no high priority. It's not the original colour and not the original interior colour either, it's just what I liked. I know the engine, gearbox and back axle are from another car but I do have the originals stored, not for any particular reason other than why not keep them. 

Ian, I've taken a picture of the back seat and I think from what I've seen before this is a later type but hadn't realised this was linked to >TS60000. I assume this is the square type you refer to. I'm not sure on what you mean about the door shape. I haven't seen different shapes in the doors,other than the obvious long doors on early cars. I'm certainly not adimdent it's an original car by any means. 

You can see this car is an older restoration, it's very usable and looks OK but it has a lived in and used feel to it. It's at a level I'm happy with keeping on top of things and using it. Although I keep thinking about rebuilding a TR4 to have as a garage companion to it :)

Neil

16014037100517811656456163077084.jpg

I recall back in the early 70's a Dove Grey TR3A a post TS 60,000 (was it TVG - Ralph Somerville's?) that had raised hinges one end and flat the other - I guessed it to have been a stitched together shell after accident but the owner claimed it was as supplied.

Ho Hum

Peter W

My TS613** , out of the factory in November 1959, has the new floor, raised hinges at the back and flat at the front. Personally I would have thought this was due to repairs after an early life shunt, but those who are supposed to know more than I about these things have told me that it is quite likely to be original.

james

11 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

So you have a >60k bodyshell and doors. 

Rgds Ian

I guess so, but the number is just less than 60k. I guess I'll never really know if that's how it was built or if the has been some part switching (more than the ones i know about) 

Thanks and interesting to hear there are others like this 

Neil