IT/Forum Help Needed.

Apart from the blindingly obvious . . . .being logged in . . . . . . .

If you were logged in, more detail is needed John.  When you say you couldn't post a reply, does that mean:

a) you didn't have a reply text box to post in

b) there was a box but you couldn't enter text 

c) you could enter text but couldn't submit the post

d) you submitted the post but it didn't show on the forum

Sometimes problems are specific to a particular browser - do you have an alternative you can use?

Works fine on my iPad as per this post.   Click in the reply box and type away.   Scroll down ( pop up keyboard might be in the way), press ‘submit reply’ and it just works.  
Paul

and post posting editing also works as per this post.  To add though, I’m on a two year old iPad Pro with the latest IOS 14 but it’s always worked even when on earlier OS versions.

Edited by PaulAnderson

If in doubt find a teenager and ask. You wont understand the answer or be able to follow the rapid hand and finger movements but pages will flash before your eyes and all will be well, until you come to do the same thing after they have gone home for tea. Speaks from experience.

Mick

On 9/28/2020 at 8:12 AM, John Morrison said:

Hi all,

most regulers here know that I am no IT Type.

Whilst away at the weekend, I realised I could access our forum, on my quite ancient I Pad,  but could not post a reply.

Any ideas?

John.

I have the same issue. Again iPad One I think. The reply box is about 2mm deep and the width of the iPad screen. It says ‘reply to this topic’ but you cannot select the reply box or even post a blank reply. ( its far too narrow anyway). Also I’ve noticed that some of the header text is overlaid with other text, where ‘Browse’and ‘Activity’ are located.

Fine on iPhone 6, however it seems Apple have not released any further firmware/ system updates for IPad One for some time which could contribute to the issue , and you’ll probably find if you check your iOS system number, the iPad will be circa 9.0xxx and the iPhones 11.3xxx or thereabouts.

Doesn’t necessarily mean a fix cannot be found though as I can reply on other fora.

Some info on Apple support pages..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8410410

“ iPad 4th generation and earlier cannot be updated to the current version of iOS. Your signature indicates that you are running iOS 5.1.1 -- if you have a 1st generation iPad, that is the latest version of iOS that will work on it.

If you aren't sure what model you have, see: Identify your iPad model - Apple Support”

22 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

I have the same issue. Again iPad One I think.

You may find it is Safari doing that, not the OS.  You could try another browser like Opera Mini which is downloadable free from the App store. 

I’m on my I-pad Air 2 using Safari and posting this. Occasionally a page is only half the normal size but I don’t think it prevents me posting.

Edited by SuzanneH
1 hour ago, RobH said:

You may find it is Safari doing that, not the OS.  You could try another browser like Opera Mini which is downloadable free from the App store. 

Hi Rob

I’m using Safari on my iPhone 6, which I’m using for this post, but don’t rule out trying what you suggest. 

This is an image of what I see on my iPad which is presumably what John Morris sees.

Kevin

722B7D08-4767-4F3A-9CED-B27E40F0BBB4.png

If it is an iPad first edition / one then it’s ten years old which is doing well for modern electronics, though most Apple products do generally have a long working life.  My first iPhone was a 3GS (dating from 2009 but bought second hand) still works in the hands of a family member though about to be retired for a newer used model.  I currently use a 6s (from 2015) again bought second hand, running the latest iOS 14 and meets all of my needs.  

hope you can find a way to work on the forum John.

that whatismybrowser link is handy and revealed an additional tweak to make on my settings.

Paul

5 hours ago, boxofbits said:

I have the same issue. Again iPad One I think. The reply box is about 2mm deep and the width of the iPad screen. It says ‘reply to this topic’ but you cannot select the reply box or even post a blank reply. ( its far too narrow anyway). Also I’ve noticed that some of the header text is overlaid with other text, where ‘Browse’and ‘Activity’ are located.

Fine on iPhone 6, however it seems Apple have not released any further firmware/ system updates for IPad One for some time which could contribute to the issue , and you’ll probably find if you check your iOS system number, the iPad will be circa 9.0xxx and the iPhones 11.3xxx or thereabouts.

Doesn’t necessarily mean a fix cannot be found though as I can reply on other fora.

Some info on Apple support pages..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8410410

“ iPad 4th generation and earlier cannot be updated to the current version of iOS. Your signature indicates that you are running iOS 5.1.1 -- if you have a 1st generation iPad, that is the latest version of iOS that will work on it.

If you aren't sure what model you have, see: Identify your iPad model - Apple Support”

Exactly what I have, and Mick is correct any adolescent would cure in milliseconds.

John.

4 hours ago, boxofbits said:

If you type in this web address it will tell you what browser you are using ( which you should already know) but more importantly the version you are on. Both my iPad and iPhone browsers are out of date ...my iPad is iOS 9.3, with the latest I believe iOS13. That probably will affect functionality.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

Kevin

Using my desktop,

and following the above, my I Pad is using Safari 9,  IOS 9.3.5

John.

44 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Using my desktop,

and following the above, my I Pad is using Safari 9,  IOS 9.3.5

John.

No further updates available for these old dinasours now as Apple have withdrawn support for them and iOS 9.3.5 is the last update for them. Later Apple devices are now on 13.xx and you cannot update Safari separately. 

Oh well Christmas is coming !