1974 CR. Die pressed aluminium or retro 70s plastic plates?

I have bought a beautiful Royal Blue 1974 CR.  It has never been registered as a heritage car so comes with modern smooth acrylic plates. These need to be changed.  I cannot decide whether to go for mirror-polished die pressed aluminium (would make the car look older than it is, but suit the colour scheme well) or, what would be correct for the period, black plastic digits on white/yellow metal background.   Have any other owners faced this worrying first-world conundrum?

EA1B66F0-9552-4FB4-8323-330C6213C2E4.png

Hi, My 73 CR has metal plates with raised lettering. I had this type on my original  TR 6 back in 1975, which was also registered in 1973. 
Regards Steve

586FBC5A-4F53-44DE-A596-3F87F3DCF657.jpeg

9080A7C3-1161-4EE6-BE35-02F24B22949A.jpeg

Hi, on the subject of black and silver plates, following information copied from
DVLA booklet  INF 104 Vehicle Services.

Vehicle registration numbers and number plates.   No. 7, Number plate design specification. Page 11

Traditional number plates for vehicles made before 1 January 1973
Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). From April 2020 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1980 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
• have applied to DVLA
• be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class
The 40-year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April.

Steve.

Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). From April 2020 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1980 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
have applied to DVLA

I've previously posted to ask if anyone had received permission following their application to use ‘black and white’ number plates, but no one replied.............

Regards

Bill 

Hi Bruce if you are talking about me UFZ 626 :) my car is a 1975 but I think I am sure Iruka is correct although I put them on a couple of years ago.

I found about the (registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class The 40-year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April.) rule.

Hi astontr6 please check out the kidney panel post, I eventually got around to updating my reply cheers. 

11 hours ago, Iruka said:

Hi, My 73 CR has metal plates with raised lettering. I had this type on my original  TR 6 back in 1975, which was also registered in 1973. 
Regards Steve

586FBC5A-4F53-44DE-A596-3F87F3DCF657.jpeg

9080A7C3-1161-4EE6-BE35-02F24B22949A.jpeg

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the pictures.  Much as I like heritage plates, I think your plates look correct.  The raised letters is very different to smooth acrylic.   Thanks.  

6 hours ago, mhossack said:

For me the only way to go, but that is what is great about your own car, you do what you like.

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

Thanks.   Very smart car and plates.  I always thought I wanted die pressed, but I’m wavering.  Looks particularly good on your car because your registration is dateless.   Yes, as you say, all options are good options.   Such great cars.  

6 hours ago, astontr6 said:

If your car is a post 73 car those type of number plates are illegal they s/b reflective? Some MOT stations are quick to pick this up?

Bruce.

Hello Bruce,

As long as the car is registered as heritage class with DVLA the b/w plates are now legal up to 1980. 

4 hours ago, Bill944T said:

have applied to DVLA

I've previously posted to ask if anyone had received permission following their application to use ‘black and white’ number plates, but no one replied.............

Regards

Bill 

Hello Bill,

as long as the car is registered as heritage class with dvla then cars made before 1980 can have b/w plates.  That’s precisely my quandary. I like the look of B/W plates, but white/yellow is appropriate for my registration plate suffix.  

as long as the car is registered as heritage class with dvla then cars made before 1980 can have b/w plates

If that is so, why is this  • have applied to DVLA written in the conditions in addition to the historic vehicle registration requirement Geoffrey?

Regards

Bill 

1 hour ago, Bill944T said:

as long as the car is registered as heritage class with dvla then cars made before 1980 can have b/w plates

If that is so, why is this  • have applied to DVLA written in the conditions in addition to the historic vehicle registration requirement Geoffrey?

Regards

Bill 

I do not know, Bill.  The law is clear. 

Hi, just to throw a spanner in the works! Photo is of my other 1973 car. (Just about to start restoring). When I bought this it was fitted with the black and silver plates. I don’t have any documentation referencing an application to the DVLA. Does anyone have written approval?

Steve

BCC06368-BDD0-4C60-A85A-F9BA0DBAE8A1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Iruka said:

Hi, just to throw a spanner in the works! Photo is of my other 1973 car. (Just about to start restoring). When I bought this it was fitted with the black and silver plates. I don’t have any documentation referencing an application to the DVLA. Does anyone have written approval?

Steve

Steve,

is the vehicle registered in the heritage class with dvla?  That’s the clincher. 

2 hours ago, Iruka said:

Steve

Good luck with the restoration. Are you keeping the colour?

Cheers GeoffreyS

(Thanks. Very smart car and plates.  I always thought I wanted die pressed, but I’m wavering.  Looks particularly good on your car because your registration is dateless. Yes, as you say, all options are good options. Such great cars.)

I am sure you knew mine was a private plate I think I paid about £350 in total on the car, excluding the metal plates.

To show how stupid I am, the dealer also had for sale UFZ 727 at the same price I even put an offer in for it which was rejected, and most peopled I asked thought it would look better, the next day when the penny dropped I have a TR6 not a TR7 which it would look better on, like they say no fool like an old fool.

My first 2 cars were TR6’s over 40 years ago, but at the time I could not really afford to keep them long, I think I paid £450 for a Damson soft-top which I think could have been EOO 544H.

My next was a White TR6 hard-top I think an L reg, possibly paid £1000.

Back then you put a private plate on to try and make people think your car was newer than it really was, my brother gave me an old 150cc Vespa with the number plate 521 MPH which I put on my TR6, because of the oil crisis back then I was happy to sell the car and number plate together, I asked £1200 and took £1000

The strange thing is that number plate is on a Ford Fiesta not too many miles away from me.

P.S. your reply to (Steve, is the vehicle registered in the heritage class with dvla?  That’s the clincher.)

I know it as Historic vehicle tax exemption, and has a 40-year exemption date which  rolls on.

That is what I applied for and am 99% sure it covers Black and Silver number plates.

Just in case you like a nice rear :D this may help.

I love a big Red rear.

IMG_3412.JPG

20170706_095432.jpg

P1010661.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

Hi Geoff, the car is registered as a historic vehicle with the DVLA. At present on SORN.

Going for the full body off resto. Intend to try and keep as original as possible. It is a matching numbers car, always was and always will be Magenta! Is there any other colour?  lol.

Steve

16 hours ago, mhossack said:

Cheers GeoffreyS

(Thanks. Very smart car and plates.  I always thought I wanted die pressed, but I’m wavering.  Looks particularly good on your car because your registration is dateless. Yes, as you say, all options are good options. Such great cars.)

I am sure you knew mine was a private plate I think I paid about £350 in total on the car, excluding the metal plates.

To show how stupid I am, the dealer also had for sale UFZ 727 at the same price I even put an offer in for it which was rejected, and most peopled I asked thought it would look better, the next day when the penny dropped I have a TR6 not a TR7 which it would look better on, like they say no fool like an old fool.

My first 2 cars were TR6’s over 40 years ago, but at the time I could not really afford to keep them long, I think I paid £450 for a Damson soft-top which I think could have been EOO 544H.

My next was a White TR6 hard-top I think an L reg, possibly paid £1000.

Back then you put a private plate on to try and make people think your car was newer than it really was, my brother gave me an old 150cc Vespa with the number plate 521 MPH which I put on my TR6, because of the oil crisis back then I was happy to sell the car and number plate together, I asked £1200 and took £1000

The strange thing is that number plate is on a Ford Fiesta not too many miles away from me.

P.S. your reply to (Steve, is the vehicle registered in the heritage class with dvla?  That’s the clincher.)

I know it as Historic vehicle tax exemption, and has a 40-year exemption date which  rolls on.

That is what I applied for and am 99% sure it covers Black and Silver number plates.

Just in case you like a nice rear :D this may help.

I love a big Red rear.

IMG_3412.JPG

20170706_095432.jpg

P1010661.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

Hello,

Thanks for your photos. That red rear looks intimidating!   Interesting how changing the colour of the reg plates on your car changes the look.   To me the yellow looks youthful, while the black looks smart and serious.   I think over time I’ll end up getting both sets and change them according to my mood.

Thank you for correcting me about historic tax class.  yes that is what I meant to write.  

15 hours ago, Iruka said:

Hi Geoff, the car is registered as a historic vehicle with the DVLA. At present on SORN.

Going for the full body off resto. Intend to try and keep as original as possible. It is a matching numbers car, always was and always will be Magenta! Is there any other colour?  lol.

Steve

Well done, Steve.  Magenta looks fantastic. Have fun.