Top Dash Pad Ashtray

Hi,

I have a TR6, it appears I have a TR4 top dash pad fitted as it does not have an ashtray fitted. I would like to fit an ashtray to make it look authentic, not much use at 80mph with the roof down! As the ashtrays are fairly cheap and readily available I would like to fit one without removing the dash pad, I presume they are just foam covered in vinyl and fairly easy to cut in situ? Obviously don't want to start and then find problems.

Welcome any thoughts on any proroblems that may arise.

Many thanks

Ray

I'm pretty sure it is just vinyl over stiff molded foam Ray. I pulled my ashtray out so you can see what it looks like.

This is not the original dash pad but one from TRF in 1990 ish so I expect it to be a good repro. Funky reflections because I shot it through the windshield.

Stan

20200926_142748-L.jpg

Ray,

If you are going to cut it with a jig saw then it would be a good idea to measure how far down the highest point is behind the dash and use a short blade. You don’t really want to cut one of the small instruments in half.

Also be a bit careful if there is foam under the vinyl (Soft foam might snag and pull out with a jigsaw). I would guess the best way would be to cut the vinyl/foam with a Stanley knife first and then remove it, so that you don’t need to touch it with the jig saw blade.

Just be VERY careful with your measurements!

Windscreen get in the way of the saw?

Charlie

I think if you measure back 3 inches from the lip on a line perpendicular to the bolt holdling down the tonneau pegs you will be well into the hole. I think I would stick a scalpel blade through the pad at that point and find the edges. As pointed out already, dont go too deep and yes, if you ever need to change the leather washer in the oil gauge line this is the way to go. Good luck, let us know the outcome.

Stan

20200927_132015-L.jpg

As you can see in Stan’s picture, the original pad has a bit recessed edge around hole, which you will not have. The ashtray will not fit in nicely. For this, I left the frame out. A bit better but not as good as the original.

Waldi

Just a suggestion to think about.

The hole in the metal should be there so why not take the screws out of the dash front and pull it forward and remove one the largest gauge closest to the ashtray if space is tight. Then at each corner of the ashtray hole push up some strong wire and then mark the top of the dash and then cut the hole. That way you will know for certain its in the right place. I would cut it smaller than required and adjust to fit the retaining ring and use a bit of black silicone to hold in place if required.

Andy

Many thanks for all your very helpful comments, I'm kicking myself for not doing this when I replaced the dash fascia and refurbished the gauges last year.

I was toying with using a dremel tool to cut the hole out, but with Waldi's comment about it possibly not seating correctly I think I'm going to leave it for now and maybe take another look if I need to take the fascia out for any reason.

Cheers

Ray