TR4A rear body bump stop

Hi Guys,

Need to replace the bump stops on the body of my TR4A resto project nearing completion. Yeh :D.  Looking at what was on the car, certainly since 1982 when it was last on the road, the bump stop seems to a have a alloy spacer and a longer stud than the replacement bump  purchased from Moss?

The Moss catalogue makes no reference to a spacer. Is this original or added as a aftermarket item?

Thasnks 

Rich

20200926_142926.jpg

You asked the same question a while ago and the consensus was that it is original indeed - on my car it certainly is. I had the same issue with MOSS who sent me bump stop with the short stud (23 mm), so had to ask them to resend the same with the long stud.

Edited by Geko

Ok, sorry can't remember asking before?:wacko:. Will check again with moss as I need a spacer and longer stud bump stop for the other side.

Thanks

Rich

Hi Peter,

Bump stop 149240 seems to be shown in the Moss cat for both IRS and solid axle TR4A'a in both the body and the chassis fixing positions. It has approx 1 inch of 3/8 UNF  thread. However the spacer is only shown for the solid axle on the body together with 149240 but this is not long enough to go through the approx 1 inch spacer?

Clearly the spacer was used on the TR4A IRS as indicated by my car and others. 

Thought I would make a spacer if I can find some alloy of the right size, struggling  at the moment, but where to get the correct length thread Bump stop? :huh:.

Regards

Rich

25 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

Just an idea but make an alloy spacer. Put a threaded hole through it. Screw bump stop into threaded hole. Screw bit of threaded rod into other side of threaded hole and use that to attach to car. Use lock tight as well.

Keith

Thats how they are anyway, the bump stop has a long thread right through the spacer.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, rvwp said:

Hi Peter,

Bump stop 149240 seems to be shown in the Moss cat for both IRS and solid axle TR4A'a in both the body and the chassis fixing positions. It has approx 1 inch of 3/8 UNF  thread. However the spacer is only shown for the solid axle on the body together with 149240 but this is not long enough to go through the approx 1 inch spacer?

Clearly the spacer was used on the TR4A IRS as indicated by my car and others. 

Thought I would make a spacer if I can find some alloy of the right size, struggling  at the moment, but where to get the correct length thread Bump stop? :huh:.

Regards

Rich

You buy the one listed for the solid axle car. They must be around as Ive bought them for mine years ago although the part numbers seem to be quoted as being the same now

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
41 minutes ago, stuart said:

Thats how they are anyway, the bump stop has a long thread right through the spacer.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart you misunderstood what I was saying. If thread on bump stop is too short through spacer then make another spacer with a threaded hole so you can screw bump stop into one side and threaded rod into other side. As I understand it the spacer simply has a hole through it (not threaded). You could also helicoil the spacer to take the bump stop thread and again put an extra bit of threaded rod the other side to fit to the body.

Keith

Hi Guys,

I already have 2 of the Moss 149240 purchased some time ago, both with 1 inch long thread. Pretty sure if I ordered again using the solid axle 149240 I'd end up with 3 :wacko:.

The way to go is as suggested make a spacer with a 3/8 UNF tapped thread through the middle, and reduce the thread length of the bump stop to 1/2 inch, screw in one side of the spacer with a length of 3/8 UNF stud protruding from the other side to screw into the body.

Thanks 

Rich

On 9/26/2020 at 2:50 PM, rvwp said:

Hi Guys,

Need to replace the bump stops on the body of my TR4A resto project nearing completion. Yeh :D.  Looking at what was on the car, certainly since 1982 when it was last on the road, the bump stop seems to a have a alloy spacer and a longer stud than the replacement bump  purchased from Moss?

The Moss catalogue makes no reference to a spacer. Is this original or added as a aftermarket item?

Thasnks 

Rich

20200926_142926.jpg

Is there a chance the brake line can get hit by the bump stop, or is it just the angle of the photo?

so just now and again the gods smile on you, after reading this thread I went back to my boxes of junk bits and found....the 2 alloy spacers! I'd forgotten what they were for!

David

rear suspension_RHS.jpg

Hi Guys,

Despite searching through all my 'come in hand boxes (have I really had that part for 50 years!)', I cannot fine a lump of alluminium   approx 2 inch dia  x 1 inch long from which I can machine up a new spacer.

Anybody have such a lump or know of a source?

Cheers 

Rich

Thanks guys for the info. I have been looking at e-bay and yes there are some possible sources of 2" bar our there, but, not being mean, but what seems like a reasonable price always is too much and becomes so expensive when adding postage etc.

In any event I am trying to reduce having extra 'stuff' in my workshop/life. It's time to start decluttering :rolleyes:.

No rush, car won't be on the road now until next spring anyway, something will turn up.

Thanks anyway

Rich