Current Member (TR6), new project 1955 TR2

hello all, i am usually over at the TR6 forum, but i have purchased a 1955 TR2 project car.  Comm# TS7831 L

i have started a journal on the Triumph Experience site, please see link below.

https://www.triumphexp.com/journal/1955-Triumph-TR2-Project-TS7831L.6259/toc

Thank you for your interest.

Graham

$_59[1].jpg

$_59[2].jpg

$_59[6].jpg

$_59[7].jpg

first assembly.jpg

Welcome.

First glance tells me you are using a TR3A (TR3 1958 onwards) front inner tub, based on the inner front wings.  If you use them you will need to pierce holes for the rears of the side/indicator lamps to fit through.

I cannot see the rear floor section above the axle of your spare tub, is it sloped or squared (like TR6 meaning post 1960 TR3)  TR2 is sloped of course.

Does the spare tub bulkhead have a hole both sides for the pedals or only on the LH making it LHD only?

Cheers

Peter W

On 9/26/2020 at 3:23 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Welcome.

First glance tells me you are using a TR3A (TR3 1958 onwards) front inner tub, based on the inner front wings.  If you use them you will need to pierce holes for the rears of the side/indicator lamps to fit through.

I cannot see the rear floor section above the axle of your spare tub, is it sloped or squared (like TR6 meaning post 1960 TR3)  TR2 is sloped of course.

Does the spare tub bulkhead have a hole both sides for the pedals or only on the LH making it LHD only?

Cheers

Peter W

Peter. thank you for your insight. i  will investigate today, and provide pictures.  I was told the body was from a 1956 TR3, but i do not know.  The bulkhead does not have the pedal opening on the RIGHT(not left) hand side - yet!

I believe the floor is sloped, pictures to follow.

the body tub does still have one of it's tags on it, hopefully this will shed some light.

Graham

Edited by Graham J

The tub would appear to be a pre 60000 TR3A (no raised hinges), for the sidelights I would simply fit the 3A parts with the protruding glass as it give much better visibility from the side. The doors have no handles, so not 3A, also I think the boot lid has a catch (or a hole for one) in the lower corner, so not 3A

Bob.

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

The tub would appear to be a pre 60000 TR3A (no raised hinges), for the sidelights I would simply fit the 3A parts with the protruding glass as it give much better visibility from the side. The doors have no handles, so not 3A, also I think the boot lid has a catch (or a hole for one) in the lower corner, so not 3A

Bob.

Just for clarity early 3a’s had the Tr3 boot, a centre lock, no handle and two coach key fasteners.

Iain

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Welcome.

Cheers

Peter W

Peter,

i have some pictures for you to review, let me know what you can determine.

IMAG0665.jpg

IMAG0666.jpg

IMAG0668.jpg

all,

thanks for your insight. I was told that the tub was 1956.  There is one tag left on it, picture below.  The car did have the original cowl/scuttle still attached, TR2.

Here are the numbers:

Comm                  TS7831 L

Body                     EB7998

841160 – need to check again

Engine                  TS7945E               -Date Stamp 1.6.55

Gearbox               TS7879

Differential         TS8349

original scuttle.jpg

replacement tub - 1956 question mark.jpg

front inner wing.jpg

11 hours ago, Lebro said:

Bob.

i have multiple doors, none that are from the replacement tub.  Original doors, no external handles, inside pull cords.

Graham

On 9/26/2020 at 7:06 AM, Lebro said:

Bob.

Bob,

the grey bootlid is original to the 1955 TR and has 3 holes.  One at each corner, and the one in the center.

23 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

FWIW, my post 60K (build date 12th Dec 1959) TR3a has the bodyshell number 1066638.

Rgds Ian

Ian,

great, that gets us closer.

so the numbers are separated by 51,890 units.  Are these numbers for the TR3 only and sequential without gaps, or would that be asking too much?

If no gaps, and TR3 only, how many cars per year?

Graham

Edited by Graham J
additional commments

If you are going to re build the car as a TR2, and you have all the original tags on the original bulkhead, and as its an early TR3 body with the sloping floor and no raised plinths for the hinges, I would just use the 3 shell and swap the tags over. Simples!. Use the doors you have without handles, the bootlid you have with the 3 fasteners, and the TR2 front panel.

Ralph

On 9/26/2020 at 4:03 AM, Graham J said:

$_59[1].jpg

Hi Graham,

a very nice project, please could you send me this photo in full solution for my private 2021 TR2-3 calendar?

I send you my mail adress by PM. Thank you very much in advance

Marco

Edited by Z320
2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

If you are going to re build the car as a TR2, and you have all the original tags on the original bulkhead, and as its an early TR3 body with the sloping floor and no raised plinths for the hinges, I would just use the 3 shell and swap the tags over. Simples!. Use the doors you have without handles, the bootlid you have with the 3 fasteners, and the TR2 front panel.

Ralph

Thank you Ralph, that is certainly the plan.  I do have the TR2 rear valance as well, this will be used also.