The naming of our cars

With original registration CAR202F my TR is called "The Car".

Having had company cars and loads of rentals, I don't normally have names for cars, but we had an Austin A40 Farina at one time called "Jemima" (I've no idea why!), and a Honda Accord with reg M143MDF, which I called "Mudflap".

When living in the USA, a customer in Houston, who was French, with a Greek name, and hated living in the USA, asked what car I drove. At the time I had been allocated an ancient company Station Wagon, which was a Ford LTD. When I told him this, he shrugged and said "Handles like a washing machine!", which was a very accurate description. It became from that moment "The washing Machine" and sometime the "Ford - Very Limited". It was a dreadful car, probably the worst I've ever driven.

TT

I also had a Ford LTD whilst living in the US from 1983 to 1986. It should have been named Pig. It wallowed at every bend and hump in the road (were there any dampers?) but worse was the bump steer. Hit a pothole round a bend and it would oversteer violently or leap sideways. It was a tank, very heavy, enormous on the outside and uncomfortable on the inside. We chose it as a company car as it was the only one on the list with individual front seats, all the others had bench seats. My wife has very short legs, I have long legs so when she drove a car with a front bench seat, I had to sit in the back. She would not wear a peaked cap, so we had the LTD.

Mick

On 9/29/2020 at 10:09 AM, stuart said:

Sounds like the Zephyr may have had either the Raymond Mays conversion stuff on it or the Aquaplane kit, both of which transformed the performance.

FWIW 889LAL reg is now on Merc

Stuart.

Here is the old girl (can't recall if it was ever given a name). The chap that owned the PB(?) Cresta in the background thought his was fast until he saw just how quick the Zephyr was. I sold the Zephyr probably in 1979, possibly 80. I recall that between agreeing the sale and the new owner collecting I managed to drive the Consul into it denting a door. I quickly got a replacement from a scrapyard and the new owner wasn't at all fussed - possibly the number was all he was after.

To keep in the spirit of the thread, here also is a picture of our old 6 - Wally the wasp for registration number and colour reasons. I'm sure Hawk will be along soon to tell us what his name for the car is.

zephyr.jpg

img074 (2).jpg