The naming of our cars

Many of us give our cars nicknames. I'd love to hear what names you have come up with for your TRs.

My 1927 Morris Cowley (HH3807) was christened 'Happy Henry' by owner, the late Daisy Washington who owned him until her death around 1971. He is never referred to as 'the Cowley', always Henry.

I haven't christened my TR4 officially butĀ  the working title is TRistan. However, watching the new series of "All creatures great and small" I am reminded that Tristan is feckless, lazy and unreliable but charming. Long term TR owners may feel that this is apposite but I have only had the car for one year and 3500 trouble free miles! What do you think?

Andy

1666233762_HHDaisyWashington.JPG.5fc66586ace364ba26af859a43b8559f.JPG

I called my TR ( Reg 1600WK ) the Wok.

A bit like a Chinese meal, I'd go for a blast and half an hour later fancy another one......

My car's reg is ESU so I could call him Sue (apologies to the late Johnny Cash) or maybe Esau (on some of the Cumbrian roads it is a bit like sitting on a seesaw)

Andy

Ā 

The 2 is named Stan, as that was the name on all his spare parts! That was back in 1980, sadly very few parts have any reference to Stan any longer.

The Stag is named Gandalf - being white!

The Midget is called Millie, and the now sold Acadiane was called Ambroise (the French name for Brian, the snail).

4 hours ago, Misfit said:

I had a FordĀ 100eĀ Reg letters LBN, itā€™s wiper when travelling up hill came to a virtual stop when raining,Ā I nicknamed it Lazy Bones.

Happy Henry has a vacuum wiper. I know the feeling

My wifes car has the letters LO**UCA in the plate.Ā 

Its white and when its dirty its called filthy LOUCA

Years and years ago I had a signal red 4 and a Welsh girlfriend...... the car was tatty and fun... the girlfriend, a beautician, was well groomed, very pretty Ā and very, very high maintenance.....

Ā 

Said girlfriend started calling the car ā€˜Strawberryā€™ and then, mostly, ā€˜naughty strawberryā€™............... that relationship did not last much longer!:wacko:

Ā 

Happy ever after though...... my love affair with my old TRā€™s goes on and on:wub:

Not only TRs in the above, so perhaps I'm allowed, especially as all of them have/had 2.5L engines:

My first Vitesse was, retrospectivelyĀ  called "Old Blue"

The next, the estate, was "Silverback", as I was going grey thenĀ too.

And the green one has a long racing history, goinh bcak to the 80s at least, but when I got it it neededĀ  to have much of the remains of Silverback donated as transplants to revive it.Ā  Ā  So it has so many of the previous car's genes, its "SofS", or "Son of Silverback"

a.jpg

My 3A is called Smurfette or SchtroumpfetteĀ  in French , simply because when a friends girlfriend saw it after it was painted she said in a very loud voice " Wow elle est super jolie et de la mĆŖme couleur que Schtroumpfette"Ā Ā  (she is pretty the same colour as Smurfette)

My daily driver a 2003 Citroen Berlingo is called the grandad-wagon

cheers

Alan

Ā 

Smurfette.jpg

The vacuum operated wipers on the Ford 100E were even worse in snow, as they did cease working and the screen became completely blanked out until one took one's foot off the accelerator - but that's difficult when ascending a steep hill in snow in a car with only 3 gears!Ā 

Same system on the 2.6 litre 6 cylinder Ford Zephyr, but thatĀ car did have somewhat more oomph!

Ian Cornish

11 minutes ago, ianc said:

The vacuum operated wipers on the Ford 100E were even worse in snow, as they did cease working and the screen became completely blanked out until one took one's foot off the accelerator - but that's difficult when ascending a steep hill in snow in a car with only 3 gears!Ā 

Same system on the 2.6 litre 6 cylinder Ford Zephyr, but thatĀ car did have somewhat more oomph!

Ian Cornish

Same wipers on the Consul 375 and at 1700cc but basically the same body as the Zephyr it definitely didnt have the Ooomph!

Stuart.

4 hours ago, Rod1883 said:

Little bit shorter at the front Stuart as the engine bay didn't ned to accommodate 6 cylinders.

Loved my old Consul, as I've said before I wish I could find it again

Edit - she was called Henrietta

img073.jpg

Well its still on DVLA so probably still about. Bristol reg no.

Stuart

Yes, I grew up just South of Bristol and the car was purchased by me in Bristol around 1978 or 9.

I also ran a mkII Zephyr for a short while - someone had breathed on it as it absolutely flew, but only did about 12mpg - 889LAL was the registration, issued in Nottingham where I went to Uni but not where I bought the car

Edited by Rod1883
15 hours ago, Rod1883 said:

Yes, I grew up just South of Bristol and the car was purchased by me in Bristol around 1978 or 9.

I also ran a mkII Zephyr for a short while - someone had breathed on it as it absolutely flew, but only did about 12mpg - 889LAL was the registration, issued in Nottingham where I went to Uni but not where I bought the car

Sounds like the Zephyr may have had either the Raymond Mays conversion stuff on it or the Aquaplane kit, both of which transformed the performance.

FWIW 889LAL reg is now on Merc

Stuart.