condensor outside the distributor, experiments with Powerspark

37 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Capacitors are also affected by vibration.  A good many Hi-Fi nerds will stick 'BluTak' to the capacitors to stop them vibrating..

In theory this will clean up the signal.

Roger

Coils, too. In Germany we have Mundorf Company who does a lot of crazy things to speaker networks. The wire in the coils have tendencies to vibrate and are glued together in a special manner. Would be a good idea to let all these details influence our ignition systems as long as this keeps nearly invisible. Hifi and Oldie have both in commen that all works and it is difficult to judge if it can do better.

There's more fake science hearsay and 'received' knowledge in HiFi that ever in car performance!   EG Speaker leads for £500 because of their 'high-purity' copper wires and gold plating on the connectors, 

On 9/26/2020 at 8:01 PM, Z320 said:

Well this is what I did with the Bosch condenser, perhaps I change the bolted end to a connector end

P1180678-b.JPG.62b91268133299ed3ca56ad31802fa8e.JPG   P1180680-b.JPG.03d371d80d11cdaf0c994983208d4cbd.JPG

Just let me tell you this:

I drove a few 100 miles with the bosch condenser outside the distributer, it works without any problems.

56 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

There's more fake science hearsay and 'received' knowledge in HiFi that ever in car performance!   EG Speaker leads for £500 because of their 'high-purity' copper wires and gold plating on the connectors, 

The gold plating actually does make a difference, all military spec wiring and BBC studio wiring uses it.

Stuart.

Doh, you are right. However, The Master, a renegade alien Time Lord in the Doctor Who universe, uses the phrase "Resistance is futile" in season 14, episode 9, "The Deadly Assassin", Wikipedia - so it must be true, haha.

Mick

Gold plating terminals does serve a purpose in preventing corrosion and enduring a long lasting good contact.

Speaker wires are a definite area of massive testiculation.

Expensive HDMI cables that carry a relatively simple digital signal are another amusement. If a digital signal is readable, it won’t give a better picture or sound going down a better cable.

Some coils are resin filled which helps to limit vibration from allowing the coiled wire to move and can’t leak unlike the oil filled ones.  

8 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

Doh, you are right. However, The Master, a renegade alien Time Lord in the Doctor Who universe, uses the phrase "Resistance is futile" in season 14, episode 9, "The Deadly Assassin", Wikipedia - so it must be true, haha.

Mick

Or was the phase previously used in Space 1999 even before that?

41 minutes ago, Harbottle said:

What a brilliant trilogy of 5 books. The definition of the Babel fish still makes me giggle.

Paul

Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett must have been from the same planet.

The Three horsemen of the Apocalypse. There should have been four but Famine was still having lunch.

Roger

22 hours ago, Fred Winterburn said:

Then we could really go off topic and argue whether crimped connections are actually 'cold welded' and 'gas tight' like some publications indicate:)

Fred  

They certainly are cold welded, if done correctly. Most however aren't.

Pete

Back to the subject...Condenser symptoms!

During Lockdown1 i rebuilt a 1974 Honda CB550 motorcycle that had rested unused for more than 20 years with a seized engine and burned out electrics.

After i freed the motor ( diesel in the cylinders works wonders!) and rebuilt the carbs I couldn't resist trying to start it with its old/original points, plugs, condensers etc. I did set the timing.

To my amazement it started and ran, but would not rev beyond about 4000.

I installed new condensers, and changed nothing else, and the motor pulls to 9000 revs

Checking the old condensers showed very low capacitance but no shorts.

So this fits with the above, a motor will run with no condensers but the arching at the points will prevent high revs and also burn the points out in short time

Steve

When I worked at a Technical College one of my first tasks was to make up leads for students to connect apparatus. I didn't trust crimping at first, but I was able to section some crimped joints and had them etched and microscopically examined. Virtually all of the uninsulated AMP terminals crimped with the correct tool showed cold welds. On the other hand, almost none of the insulated terminals crimped with a'generic' tool were cold welded.

Pete