Hi all

I am looking at new bumpers for my 72 car and have been quoted around a grand to have the original ones rechromed,I see moss charges 790 gbp inc postage for polished s/ steel ones.I wonder if anyone out there has had this dilemma as I have been told that after market bumpers may not be the best quality ( not necessarily Moss)once again can I be a pain and ask if anyone has any thoughts on this,I can assure you guys that any thoughts are most welcome and taken on board.

regards nige

I fitted the S/S bumpers to my Stag and was very impressed, they are the same manufacturer as the TR6 ones. Side by side with fresh chrome they aren't as shiny but you wouldn't notice against older chrome.

All the stainless bumpers for our cars are made by Harrington in Vietnam as far as I know. I fitted a set to my '70 TR6 around 8 years ago. They fit well and look good.

A search of the forum will provide more threads on this topic, it's been discussed on numerous occasions.

Nigel

Re-chroming the original bumpers gives the best quality finish, but it is expensive. Whether it works out cheaper to get the s/s ones I don't know - probably not much in it.

When I did mine I bought some new chrome bits from Moss but ended up having to get parts of the rear bumper re-chromed because the new pattern parts didn't fit properly - they left big gaps at the joints. Overall it probably costed around £600, so did work out cheaper than the s/s offerings.

I have fitted SS bumpers and rechromed originals to tr6 cars over the years I find that the fit and look of the originals better than the SS ones but they are costly to rechrome depending on condition. The SS front sit too far away from the front valance but if that doesn’t bother you then it’s probably the way ahead. 

Just fitted these stainless Steel bumpers from Harrington, they fit perfectly both front and rear with supplied bolts, washers etc 

Very professional service from them and kept me informed from placing the order to delivery which was around 2 weeks and all in at £745 - very satisfied 

Graham 

Screenshot_20200929-182648.png

Screenshot_20200929-182532.png

Hi,

I have one of each on my 1972 car with the SS fitted about 10 years ago by the then owner. Both look great and certainly the SS does not detract from the look of the car in any way. I have had comments along the lines of “but it’s not original” which I can’t argue with but, to be honest, I don’t want to spend to be completely original and as I say, it looks terrific. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a very nice condition front one I have just removed that I don't need, as I've only just around to refitting my original 1969 CP one that I had re chromed 20 years ago (cost £230)  I bought the replacement one from the TR Shop 20 years ago, I guess it's a later CR type one with the larger/deeper boxed in center mounts. 

I'd post a picture but being an old geezer I don't know how to do it since having to change to blooming Windows 10!  Send me a PM Nige if you wanna buy it.  I'm in Hertfordshire.