Where are all the regularity rally drivers, here? "Show your cockpit"-PHOTO-THREAD

Only very few of the forum members seem to participate in regularity rally events. At least I do not see very many pictures of rallye cockpits, here. Is that truth?
This should be a photo thread of regularity rally cockpits.

Here is my picture of my TR2 cockpit:200125_3449.thumb.jpg.df6593559557215f49a7e0f40dbd850c.jpg
VDO M3.1 bicycle tachometer
MIG 29 board clock AY-C-1 (identically constructed as the Jaeger Le Coultre board clock which where used in TR3 Works rally cars in the late 50s)
VHclassics Rallycounter S2 tripmaster with AV Clock
atb Average Speed Calculator (attached by a double sided magnet (detachable)

In the meantime, the bicycle tachometer moved to the drivers side (center):
0F073B30-1EDC-48A1-94E0-20FBD879829C.thumb.JPG.a761f8120cbd708c9b7201b67e599fc0.JPG
additional instruments:
Hanhart Hanhart Addition Timer 1/5 sec stopwatch
radio controlled digital clock

The stopwatches for the passenger are attached to the rally board:
190309_9464.thumb.jpg.c8bafdc5c46028638ad4854aa7b5dc31.jpg
2x Hanhart Labor 2
radio controlled digital clock
Silva Field compass
Hanhart Labor 3 (used for total time / remaining time)

How does your rally cockpit look like?

Edited by tr2_applegreen

Here's the office of our endurance rally 4. Recently changed from Terratrip to a Brantz (International 2) setup. Have driver displays for both the meter and the timer. Meter has gearbox and wheel sensors with switchover. The home made (simplified, 0.2 mile intervals) speed tables are for me to use from my side when my nav is too absorbed in maps and timing chaos etc. We're still getting our act together with a lot of this stuff.

image.thumb.png.2b6495eaf542b8452d361d5f6b368cb5.png

Edited by Bleednipple
13 hours ago, Bleednipple said:

Here's the office of our endurance rally 4. Recently changed from Terratrip to a Brantz (International 2) setup. Have driver displays for both the meter and the timer. Meter has gearbox and wheel sensors with switchover. The home made (simplified, 0.2 mile intervals) speed tables are for me to use from my side when my nav is too absorbed in maps and timing chaos etc. We're still getting our act together with a lot of this stuff.

image.thumb.png.2b6495eaf542b8452d361d5f6b368cb5.png

Nice looking seats, what are they?

Stuart.

33 minutes ago, stuart said:

Nice looking seats, what are they?

Stuart.

Just the Moss ones. Although not bucket-style they have surprisingly good support, and extremely comfortable all day.

Nigel

50 minutes ago, Quicksilver said:

This is what we have in the TR4; GTI rally-twin ( mechanic like Halda)- 3 counter stopwatch- 1 clock- 1 stopwatch on clipboard. thats all...

Marcel.

We're also in the 'less-is-more' camp on clocks etc. We now rely on the Brantz timer which although a lot of money for what's basically a digital clock, is actually an excellent bit of kit. It has several modes and can freeze the display at a control while still running on in background (ideal for 'continental' regularity timing, as well as for jogularities). I've only just fitted the driver display for it and had one day's rallying with that, but I found it really helpful from my side of the car.

I do keep a separate little stop-watch in front of me as a back-up but really not needed with the Brantz, so far anyway.

Nav still needs a portable stopwatch but that's just to 'transport' rally time from MTC into the car first thing in the mornings.

Looking forward to Highland Thistle at beginning of next month, then Rally of the Tests in Nov (OMG - our aim on that is 'to finish'. But we won't be able to complain we have the wrong kit.)

Nigel

3 hours ago, Bleednipple said:

Just the Moss ones. Although not bucket-style they have surprisingly good support, and extremely comfortable all day.

Nigel

Ah OK you must have sorted the mounting out for them as I find as supplied they sat too high.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, iain said:

VHP's period correct dash.

I use a Halda twinmaster on events, but  these were not available in period.

Iain

Dash Complete.jpg

That looks great and is indeed an extremly high level of originality. Even the foam coating of the hand brake is correct! :o

I found your historic photo here:

On 3/28/2019 at 9:25 PM, iain said:

The speed Speedpilot  was fitted on the Transmission tunnel. I can measure my brackets. if you can wait a few days I will draw them up.

This is VRW 219, 1958 Apple Green 3A on the Monte.

Iain

377ACE52-CE13-4FBB-A7CF-65860034C90D.jpeg

Do you have a detailed picture of the passengers side?

Could you explain what all the instruments are, and their purposes?

2 hours ago, Quicksilver said:

@ Nigel

This Saturday sept 26 is our first rally in 7 years... so hopefully we didn't forget our skills of driving and navigation....  

I

Good luck but 7 years is the blink of an eye - I left rallying for nearly 30 years then started again recently. In Britain we would say "you don't forget, it's like riding a bike", but I don't need to say that to a Dutchman... ;)

We know of Mr Gatsonides over here mainly because he invented the speed camera. But I just looked him up and now realise he apparently invented it to improve racing car design and testing, so he was a very good chap after all!

Nigel

55 minutes ago, TorontoTim said:

Jan's office for the Alcan 5000.  My regular rallying in the Ontario Championship was pretty similar.

Before Rally - Jan's Office.jpg

Another Brantz user I see. Tim, where do you have the sensor(s) on your 4? My rally prep chap, who has done several TRs, advised against a front wheel sensor as too vulnerable. So I am on GB and a back wheel rather than a front. That's not such an issue in UK regularity events as we don't have very long gravel sections with wheelspin potential. But I bet you do in North America!?

(Also should add, in UK events the 're-start' at regularity TPs means we don't tend to build up large meter errors. But would do on a lot of overseas events that use 'continental' timing).

Nigel

556E5190-7F41-40F0-AC44-CDDD2CB5EE3D.thumb.jpeg.31737c10b449af2d1742d33580a7c16f.jpeg

Original Halda and Speedpilot as fitted to and from Rob Slotermakers works 3. - Just for info ‘Brantz’ were never allowed back in the day (for serious rallys:P and definitely never fitted)

Fully, fully agree with the Guys who say ‘keep it simple’; the key fundamentals are robust, reliable car with a bit of poke when needed - which 4pot TR has all in spades - and then pencil, pen, colour markers- 2 minimum, 3 good, 4 just showing off Tim!?, - stop-watch, accurate rev-counter (you will also require a driver who can understand and work this!) ...... Believe me, this is enough to get you on the podium every time.......... so long as car, driver and (long suffering) navigator are working in perfect harmony THROUGHOUT!:blink:

Further the above, some just said it was showboating but, ‘deafening’ boat type horn on navigator side helped (specially beneficial in continental jaunts) clear any and all obstacles out of the way to glory.

Halda’s are brilliant and all I used / relied on in the earlier days but, when we won all the trophies, it was primarily down to really well calibrated Speedpilot (and a driver who knew what he was doing AND cooperated:rolleyes: helped a bit).

When I get back into it - and I will soon! - nowerdays I will invest in a ‘Potty’...... :ph34r:......... Happy Days!!

Ha, old school. A Speedpilot (lovely, lovely thing that it is, although I never actually got my hands on one in club rallies back in the day) won't help you much on today's HRCR, HERO etc events, as the regularity sections are timed to the second rather than the minute. And then you're not allowed anything that displays average speed to that level of accuracy, nor pinging cycle meters nor anything like that. Your meter and clocks can be electronic or mechanical whichever you prefer, but you still need speed tables and quick reckoning at speed changes to keep you bang-on. 

Even the Pottis come in LED/cordless versions now. Damned progress, eh? ;)

7 hours ago, Bleednipple said:

Another Brantz user I see. Tim, where do you have the sensor(s) on your 4? My rally prep chap, who has done several TRs, advised against a front wheel sensor as too vulnerable. So I am on GB and a back wheel rather than a front. That's not such an issue in UK regularity events as we don't have very long gravel sections with wheelspin potential. But I bet you do in North America!?

(Also should add, in UK events the 're-start' at regularity TPs means we don't tend to build up large meter errors. But would do on a lot of overseas events that use 'continental' timing).

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I used to use a speedo cable sensor (including on my Vitesse back in the UK in the late 80s/early 90s) but changed to a wheel sensor about ten years ago - primarily for reliability, but it is certainly more accurate on the dirt roads too, which is where most of our rallies here are run.

My sensor is fitted on the left front wheel (LHD, of course) mounted to the brake disc dust shield pointing at the disc bolts.  As it happens, it stopped working within the last year but I'm not competing at the moment, so it's not critical; I'll fit the spare when I rebuild the suspension this autumn...perhaps ;-)  I'm happy to take photos if you'd like to see my set-up.

I've used Brantz most of the time, although I used a mechanical A1FAB (?) for a while in the Vitesse.  I have used the Brantz with the average speed calculator too when I was competing against modern cars but that, obviously, isn't legal for true historic classes.  Jan used tables on the Alcan and I used them in the Audi.

Tim

7 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

Hi Nigel,

I used to use a speedo cable sensor (including on my Vitesse back in the UK in the late 80s/early 90s) but changed to a wheel sensor about ten years ago - primarily for reliability, but it is certainly more accurate on the dirt roads too, which is where most of our rallies here are run.

My sensor is fitted on the left front wheel (LHD, of course) mounted to the brake disc dust shield pointing at the disc bolts.  As it happens, it stopped working within the last year but I'm not competing at the moment, so it's not critical; I'll fit the spare when I rebuild the suspension this autumn...perhaps ;-)  I'm happy to take photos if you'd like to see my set-up.

I've used Brantz most of the time, although I used a mechanical A1FAB (?) for a while in the Vitesse.  I have used the Brantz with the average speed calculator too when I was competing against modern cars but that, obviously, isn't legal for true historic classes.  Jan used tables on the Alcan and I used them in the Audi.

Tim

Thanks! 

May I have some recommendations please for kilometer distance readings for a few Tulip rallies that I like to do. Here the distances are in kms, My main problem is the speedo in the car is in miles and I don't think its that accurate for distance although the speed is pretty accurate with the radar speed indicators we have in some of the towns now.

Is there a relatively simple device that would work making this task much easier for a novice?

John

Edited by John L

For the Shell 4000 Rally in 1964, the three TR4s (3VC, 5VC, 6VC, but given US number plates) had the speedo drive taken from one of the front wheels by drilling through the stub axle and inserting the end of the cable into the dust cap.  From the photos of that Rally, there would have been a lot of wheelspin at the rear!

I seem to recall that 6VC still had the evidence there when Neil brought the car back from the US in the mid-1990s.

Ian Cornish