Where are all the regularity rally drivers, here? "Show your cockpit"-PHOTO-THREAD

1 hour ago, pheaney said:

Hi Nigel 

I set it up so the top  buttons relate to the Brantz position -a down switch brings that onto the green switch. All the little Brantz boxes took a lot of space and the boss liked the buttons on the dash.

Paul.

Cool. My nav has made the odd noise about a second timer, so I've been keeping some space for it (where the sensor switchover box has been plonked for now).

image.thumb.png.b10603e6b65c89328b36d75c8be500b6.png

Hi Paul

normally the procedure is to hit the distance for the speed change and start the 2nd Clock at that instant, ignore the first for that moment after the 2nd clock is started. Once the timing is checked for arrival at the point we just passed (and knowing the distance, so assuming your trip is spot on) we adjust for early arrival / lateness and then zero the first clock. Next change or control we revert to the first clock. We hold the time on the first clock in case there are any fumbles as you can work out how much time you are adrift from the old clock - sometimes if we cock it up properly we end up running on the same clock and and Tonytime which is my best guess as to how quickly I revised the speed. Normally we can get to +/- 2secs but that assumes the driver is on the ball.

we tend to run on inter distances and zero frequently to keep the rolling error down, but run the stage distance over the entirety of the section so that we can compare the error and adjust if necessary. This helps with trip calibration especially if temps vary (ie from low ground to mountain, cold to hot tyres etc which do make a difference).

i say we of course I just drive and try to stay +/- 10 secs of ideal at all times unless we are against the clock. The navigator is doing all this timing stuff and guiding us on maps, tulips, jogularity etc as well as keeping me on the straight and narrow. I know who has the bigger brain .... which is why I try to keep the whole job as simple as possible and anything to do with the car I keep within reach and run.

We did The Winter Challenge a few years ago and it was a very good event but I’m reluctant to commit to the 2021 event yet due to Brexit and obviously C19 restrictions.

regards

Tony

Thanks for that run through Tony very useful, what at first seems straightforward gets a bit crazy when ones on the move. We are trying to get better at the timing but at the stage where it can play havoc with the navigating. Then we are in big trouble. Hopefully 2021 will allow us some opportunities to get out and practice.

I had never thought of the trip going out due to tyre temperature  but I guess it must of course.

Regards Paul

4 hours ago, pheaney said:

I had never thought of the trip going out due to tyre temperature  but I guess it must of course.

Regards Paul

It seems to make an appreciable difference. We've noted that that the meter reads 'long' for the first half hour in the morning before the tyres have warmed up. For that reason I've discovered it's important to run the measured distance twice, ie second time with warm tyres, rather than just once and adjusting off the first reading. 

Another source of meter shift is also of course varying degrees of wheelspin (assuming sensor is off a driven wheel or GB). On long gravel regularities - rare in Europe I guess but we certainly encountered every day on ERA NZ Classic back in Feb - we found it necessary to apply different fudge factors for different types of gravel and pace - eg if you have to do some catching-up up a gnarly uphill stretch you end up with a lot more wheelspin and hence over-reading on the meter.

All good in principle, we just need to get better at actually applying it. I think on the Per Ardua next month we'll just be happy to stay on route!

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Yeah but............ to ‘hit the nail on the head’ , as you say "just be happy to stay on route!"........ all this, tyre pressures etc are marginal compared to and even if you do / can stay on the route if the driver is determined to cut every other corner and go outrageously wide on the rest, with wheel spins thrown in for effect - Why when av regularity speeds are around  30mph?? 

In my experience, it is such a simple, pleasurable experience when the driver drives the measured route in the manner and time allocated ...... That’s the (best practice) theory anyway!

The advice about staying on the right road is the best and biggest tip ! You can be going very well on the wrong road very easily, at which and even with a good recovery any hope of accuracy is gone.

its worth remembering that some of the organisers (not all by any means) use a master meter that reads to 1000th rather than 100th (ie three figure decimal on digits and round up / down, so you are already gauging to some degree as you do the calibration routes - my tip is to do them twice in each direction and cover of tyre diameter due to temp and the possibility of inaccuracy due to corner cutting. Some organisers drive in the centre of the lane, some on the racing line on your side of the road’ as the old school books tell you to, some just drive it once and that’s it. Few spin the car up anywhere and most do the routes at regularity speed, particularly those that try to place the car in a specific way.

The worst thing you can do is arrive late, blast round the calibration route or measured mile just the once and retire to the bar happy. You definitely get the wrong answer and spend the morning losing seconds and correcting which is frustrating. I know because we have done it !