Phoenix Exhausts Fitting Issue?

Hi All,

I just splashed out on a 60th Birthday Present for the old girl: A stainless steel Phoenix 4:1 manifold and system. Looks to be a lovely piece of kit. However, there is an issue. Or at least, there may be, I haven't started the job yet as I am waiting for new fittings.

The original exhaust and inlet manifold flanges are 7/16" thick. The Phoenix manifold flange is 10mm. So, there is a 1.5mm difference between the flanges of the original inlet and the Phoenix exhausts, and I am assuming that this may be a problem, as the two manifolds share common studs/nuts, with spreader clamps between the two. So, won't that mean that the exhaust manifold will not get as much clamping and may leak?

As I see it, there are three options;

1. Grind a step into each shared spreader.
  2. Weld a packer onto the spreader clamping points on the manifold.
  3. Mill the inlet manifold to 10mm. :-)

OK, the last option is rather extreme and would mean that if either I, or a future owner, wanted to fit the original manifold for originality, then the problem would be back, in reverse. I know that Phoenix have been selling exhaust manifolds for these cars for some time. I would really appreciate hearing what others have done to resolve this please. 

Cheers, Ian

7 hours ago, boggie said:

Hi All,

I just splashed out on a 60th Birthday Present for the old girl: A stainless steel Phoenix 4:1 manifold and system. Looks to be a lovely piece of kit. However, there is an issue. Or at least, there may be, I haven't started the job yet as I am waiting for new fittings.

The original exhaust and inlet manifold flanges are 7/16" thick. The Phoenix manifold flange is 10mm. So, there is a 1.5mm difference between the flanges of the original inlet and the Phoenix exhausts, and I am assuming that this may be a problem, as the two manifolds share common studs/nuts, with spreader clamps between the two. So, won't that mean that the exhaust manifold will not get as much clamping and may leak?

OK, the last option is rather extreme and would mean that if either I, or a future owner, wanted to fit the original manifold for originality, then the problem would be back, in reverse. I know that Phoenix have been selling exhaust manifolds for these cars for some time. I would really appreciate hearing what others have done to resolve this please. 

Cheers, Ian

Ian,

I think you will find that the "toggles" are designed to compensate in so far as they are a slack fit on the studs and should rock to take up that slight difference.

Ralph.

9 hours ago, boggie said:

Hi All,

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian,

sadly the clamps will not toggle/lean enough to take up the difference. The nut and washer will try to keep the clamp flat.

Do as Ian above has done and weld 2mm of packing on the exhaust manifold.

Firstly, mark where the packing needs to be then a spot of weld will keep it there.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Well, what I did was to drill & tap M4 threads into the clamps on the side which clamps the exhaust, then inserted some screws with 1.5 'mm thick heads to remove the difference in thickness problem.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Or create a clamp system like GT6 Mk1 with a spherical bearing washer that allows the clamp to tilt 

Peter W

https://www.angloparts.com/en/catalogues/group/2844/triumph-gt6-exhaust-manifold

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi John,

to your knowledge has anybody brought this to the attention of Phoenix.

It would be simple for them to add something during production.

Roger

Apart from Richard,above, when they didn't reply, no.

I have never bought from them so can't comment personally. I imagine they are a reasonable price but I would be furious to be faced with that potential work to make it fit.

But from the posts there are several on here that had the problem. I assume they didn't speak to Phoenix.

No, I didn't speak to Phoenix but I didn't see it as a big issue.  The manifold itself fitted well without any need to force it into place and it was a half hour job to increase the thickness at the clamp points.  It really isn't a problem.

Rgds Ian

Thanks Chaps,

Feels to me the best option is to add weld on the Phoenix manifold at the clamping points, but agree that when spending so much money (around £700), I expect it to fit! A real shame, as the build quality of the manifold itself is very high but overall the product is let down by what appears to be poor pre-production R&D.

Ian