New member, long list of jobs

7 minutes ago, Macleesh said:

Thank you :-)

I think they're great in White, I also have a Dolomite in this colour which I've had since 1982.

Hadn't realised the screen surround was wrong. The sills I did know about, they do have stonechip on them but no trim strip. Good feedback on the bolts, I was wondering how they left the factory, another nice to do job. I'll also fess up that the Radiator intake is (shock horror) body colour too. It also has a spoiler which I believe should only be on a CR car. But the thing that really winds me up is the black Wiper arms, will be getting some Stainless steel ones ASAP

Thanks

Sean

The screen surround is only body colour on '69 model year cars, commission number starting with CP25***. If yours starts with CP50**** it's a '70 model year and should have black screen surround. 

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for clarifying Gareth.

Had my second fail to proceed moment today. Due to being in between registrations last week I couldn't use the car last weekend as I was waiting new plates with its new (old) number. So this morning I had to drive over to the bank to pay a cheque in. It was foggy but looked like it was clearing so I decided the 6 was the car to use. So off we went. Now I've always had some concerns about the ammeter as it seems to spend more time in the -ve half than the +ve Today it was solidly -ve, what was different today? I had the lights on for the first time hmm. Got where I was going, bank now shut Saturdays due to Covid :-( Never mind headed home via Screwfix to pick up a few bits. Returned to the car to find it only slowly turning over, looks like the ammeter is right then! Walked home and grabbed some jump leads and a support car and soon had it back home.

Stuck the battery on charge and when started later the ammeter was in the +ve. My theory then is when faced with the demands of topping up the battery after a few weeks of inactivity, supplying a hungry Bosch pump and keeping the lights on the alternator whilst clearly working lacks oomph. There doesn't appear to be any way to tell which model is fitted apart from being able to exclude the early 15AC from the candidate list as there's no external regulator. Given there's not much in it price wise it seems to make sense to go for a A127 variant acknowledging there's some debate on whether the ammeter can cope with the extra amperage.

Thanks

Sean

We have been round this before.  The ammeter only registers current into and out of the battery. It is the load that determines the current, not the alternator. The battery will draw only as much current as it needs to re-charge which, provided it is in good condition, should be about the same regardless of which alternator is fitted.  If your car stands unused for considerable periods it sounds as though you could benefit from a battery conditioner.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the premise that the Alternator ought to have enough oomph to supply the car's electrical demands on its own in normal circumstances I decided an upgrade was in order. Decided against going for an A127 as I found a supplier selling upgraded 18ACRs which visually are indistinguishable from the standard 15ACR fitted.

New alternator arrived during the week and it was a straightforward job to swap. Quick test drive revealed the ammeter went strongly into charge initially before dropping back to neutral and no combination of electrical demand could push it into discharge for more than an instant, apart from the Indicators interestingly. I'm guessing that's because the alternator doesn't have chance to stabilise before the intermittent nature of the demand disappears.

It may be wishful thinking but the car felt like it was idling better with less fluctuation. I wonder if the original alternator was struggling to supply enough volts for the pump at idle.

Hi Sean, my car is CP51049, 15 Feb 1970. Yours is only a few hundred later although separated by a few thousand miles, mine is down under in Sydney, Australia.

Mine is unrestored but has had some professional and amateur work done over the years. It appears it was a non overdrive car but now has a J type in it on 3rd and top. A Bosch fuel pump, non original steering wheel.

The cars should have a lot in common. 

John