Battery tray painting

Good afternoon all, Im just about to repaint the battery tray on my signal red TR5 and looking for guidance please.

All surface rust has been removed and treated with jenolite, followed by Bondarust primer. Now I need to follow through with either aerosol or brush applied colour and I have a few questions.

1) The hazards around 2k are putting me off using it in favour of cellulose, which I have previous experience years ago of using via a gun - is this a sensible way to go?

2) Brush or aerosol? The area (engine is in situ) is not conducive to easily using an aerosol but brush painting cellulose is fraught with its own problems, possibly mitigated by using 'brushing thinners' I believe

3) Will Bondarust take the cellulose OK or do I need a primer/sealer (eg Frost Isolator Primer) beforehand?

4) Any recommendations for a lacquer would be helpful please

5) If I go down the aerosol route, are the Moss aerosols recommended?

So many variable here - any guidance would be appreciated to lead to the best finish. Thank you :)

Dave

Can't answer the painting question, but consider fitting a plastic insert to protect the battery tray from any acid leakage. They are readily available from the usual suppliers

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Bondarust will take cellulose but you might want to use a surface prier that you can sand flat before the top coat. I would suggest aerosol over brush painting. It should be fairly easy to isolate the battery tray with judicious masking.

I would use a 1K primer (after a coarse sanding with 220 grid, then sand 220/320/400 and use a 2K aerosol (rattle can). Make sure you degrease the area before painting.

Waldi

As above use 2K spray paint but please use a decent mask like this one from 3M https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-in-1-6200-7502-Paint-Spray-Gas-Shield-Safety-Work-Facepiece-Respirator-Filter/313201560032? as the fumes even out doors aren't pleasant.

Andy

On 9/20/2020 at 3:55 PM, Lebro said:

Can't answer the painting question, but consider fitting a plastic insert to protect the battery tray from any acid leakage. They are readily available from the usual suppliers

Bob.

Hi Bob, thanks for the tip. I'll have a look round and cgive it some thought. First priority is to repaint the tray.

All the best

Dave

On 9/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, SeanF said:

Bondarust will take cellulose but you might want to use a surface prier that you can sand flat before the top coat. I would suggest aerosol over brush painting. It should be fairly easy to isolate the battery tray with judicious masking.

Hi Sean, thanks for the guidance. Will add the surface primer and then probably use cellulose as you suggest - I think the finish is more in keeping with the age/existing paintwork etc. Having had a closer look at the edges, the masking is ok too.

Cheers Dave

On 9/20/2020 at 6:38 PM, Waldi said:

I would use a 1K primer (after a coarse sanding with 220 grid, then sand 220/320/400 and use a 2K aerosol (rattle can). Make sure you degrease the area before painting.

Waldi

On 9/20/2020 at 8:28 PM, PodOne said:

As above use 2K spray paint but please use a decent mask like this one from 3M https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-in-1-6200-7502-Paint-Spray-Gas-Shield-Safety-Work-Facepiece-Respirator-Filter/313201560032? as the fumes even out doors aren't pleasant.

Andy

Hi Waldi/Andy thanks for the advice, I'll proceed as you suggest other than the 2k aerosol - I think my preference is cellulose. Not sure a 2k aerosol will be the same but general a 2k finish looks slightly heavier to me - less in keeping with the age and other paintwork maybe?

Cheers

Dave