FItting New Fan Belt?

Fit 2 whilst you are at it, side of the road... at night ...in the rain, is not the time to find out how to get another belt onto the front of the engine and around the fan.
Secure the fan with 3 or 4 tie wraps at convenient places To keep it spread out and snip when needed.

Mick Richards

24 minutes ago, sean f connaughton said:

thanks guys will give a try .

Sean.

Hi Sean

if Your front mounts  have gone soft it may be possible to raise the engine enough with undoing the mounts.

Also consider a narrow belt conversion. Not cheap but gives peace of mind.

Roger

20 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Fit 2 whilst you are at it, side of the road... at night ...in the rain, is not the time to find out how to get another belt onto the front of the engine and around the fan.
Secure the fan with 3 or 4 tie wraps at convenient places To keep it spread out and snip when needed.

Mick Richards

really good advice from Mick,

I would add that when I ran this, I wrapped the spare belt, in cling film, so that it was worth fitting if it had been there a decade or more.

John.

Even with a narrow belt it’s a squeeze, at least on my car. So I also replaced the motor mounts, and shimmed them with 2 heavy washers per side. Now there’s just enough clearance to get the belt through without a struggle. You know they only break at night and in the rain!

Jim

Just measured some square vs round engine mounts and the square ones I have are approx 5mm deeper than the round ones. I have read that the square ones are better but don't know if this is true. They would give a few mm extra.

I have made a cross bar that fits into the channels each side of the engine bay. Using some threaded eye bolts, I can hook one of these under the front nearside lifting eye and the exhaust side with some thick wire rope and lift the front of the engine enough to change the fan belt. I also carry a spare clipped in place as many others have suggested - got me out of a hole on more than one occasion.

Note that you may have to remove the battery if it is a large size because the back of the engine will touch it as you raise the front.

Tr4aJim - which mounts did you use - round or square? I have looked at shimming but not done it yet. The other problem with raising the front of the engine is that the top hose doesn't line up with the radiator so well then. I have looked at designing a couple of mini jacks that could lift the front of the engine fitting them between the main chassis cross member as a support and the front plate of the engine. Basic design using a couple of threaded rods or bolts and a small metal frame. Idea is to be small enough to be part of the tool kit. I'll post when I have done it.

If only Triumph had figured out a better solution for this one.

Keith

Keith, I have the rectangular ones. With the shims, it did raise the water pump outlet approx 1/2 inch higher than radiator inlet. There was enough flex in the upper hose (I installed a new one) to fit ok. I was concerned a little about trapping air, but after a year, there have been no cooling issues (touch wood).

Jim

4 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

Keith, I have the rectangular ones. With the shims, it did raise the water pump outlet approx 1/2 inch higher than radiator inlet. There was enough flex in the upper hose (I installed a new one) to fit ok. I was concerned a little about trapping air, but after a year, there have been no cooling issues (touch wood).

Jim

Hi Jim

Raising the front of the engine 1/2 inch also raises the fan 1/2 inch so in theory the radiator should be raised 1/2 inch as well. I have just measured the clearance between the top of the radiator cap on my car and the underside of the bonnet. I stuck a bit of glazing putty on the top of the rad cap and closed the bonnet. I reckon there is about 1 inch and 1/4 clearance. In theory then it should be possible to place shims under each side of the radiator where it bolts to the chassis. It might also be necessary to raise the cowl a bit. I don't know if anyone has done this before but it all looks possible. That would help the alignment of the top hose.

I wonder if anyone has any views on this?

Keith

As some of you might remember I made a fan extension with a much smaller diamter (22 mm)

P1150850-b.JPG.7c05aa6bdf8684b6e905e63dedf6d0de.JPG

P1150863-b.JPG.1ef9409aad8e8c9ed12876403ed3ab1c.JPG

the original typ 20 belt fits through this extension and the steering rack without any problem,

I wonder why this is not a common product of our TR spare parts traders?

Edited by Z320