TR 2 Cockpit rear pannel/capping

Hi There, 

my cockpit rear pannel/capping was missing and I have ordered replacement for upholstery and installation.

(the middle capping at the rear of the cockpit)

The part provided was aluminum and of very poor quality. It would require major rework, cut and bending and is not more than (expensive) raw material for this job.

All my other cappings are fibre class and fit very well.

Can anybody recommend a parts source for a decent quality fibre class part ? 

All sources known to me do only offer the aluminum junk...

Input welcome

Cheers

Oliver

Hello Oliver,

Bit unfair to class aluminium capping as “Junk”.
As Bob says, that is how they were made originally.

If you think that what you have bought is “Junk” then tell the person you bought it from and get a refund.

The problem is that the original capping seems to be made of a very soft version of aluminium sheet, and it bends very easily. Once it bends, it stretches, and never seems to go back to its original shape. (I’ve tried to do it, even made a hardwood former so that I could tap it around to go back to how it was meant to be. Never worked.)

Mine got bent when I drove a group of Australian barmaids (Big girls they were.) back from the bar they were working at in down-town Athens in 1974. There was a curfew on and I had two girls sitting in the front and two girls sitting on the back panel over the petrol tank.

The ploy was that with so many girls in my car we would not get shot at.
The ploy worked.
We did not get shot, but my rear capping got bent.

This is a timely warning.
The UK may soon have a curfew.
If you want to get around it then fill your car with large Australian girls.
(But be prepared to bend your capping.)

Charlie.

Mine was squashed flat and mangled when I started to reshape. Alloy is a bit foregiving when you bend it back into shape.. It is however original. No matter how badly shaped it is you can reshape and get it to look right. It can be snipped easily to shorten the edge to suit the fibre ends. I can imagine that they are quite thick and you will have fun getting them to mate up with the differing thicknesses.

Rod

Thanks for the input. Good to know. that the orignal was aluminum.

It is just that I have expected a part which can be upholstered and installed with minor adjustments to make.

So "junk" in my understan ing does not mean, that I have a problem with aluminum but the fact, that I need to do major rework including cutting....

The side cappings are fiber class and they just fit perfect. If there was a fitting fiber class alternative for the rear capping, I would prefer it to a aluminum piece of jun.. ÄÄhh originality...

Cheers

Oliver