Door Cards

I have for awhile had an issue with my drivers door window, so having sorted that I need to re do the door card as this is very warped as there was no weather curtain :angry:

So I have decided to re make a new set of cards, main issue is staples, I have hand stapler but I can't find 3mm staples, Would any forumites have any ideas on what staples  i need, I don't have an air supply so the pneumatic type isn't an option, looking forward to any guidance before I take the old door cards apart.

Cheers 

You need to be careful removing the Vinyl as the heat formed lines will be well stuck to the  old cards, 3mm staples are around http://www.collatedfasteners.co.uk/car-trimming-staples-tools-c119.html

Stuart.

4 hours ago, boxofbits said:

Hi

I believe I used an Arrow T50 gun before. You might find your local hire shop has one. There are YT videos about it.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin

3 hours ago, stuart said:

You need to be careful removing the Vinyl as the heat formed lines will be well stuck to the  old cards, 3mm staples are around http://www.collatedfasteners.co.uk/car-trimming-staples-tools-c119.html

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, they were indeed stuck at the formed lines, its all come off with out a tear!!!!!!PHEW, I have some scrim foam to attach the back of the vinyl, so will check out the linked get me some staples:D

Hi All

Funnily enough I have exactly the same staples problem so the link is a great help.

Another Q though. Couple of comments about the T50 stapler being ideal. Does that go for any similar style staple gun as I’ve got an older all metal draper staple gun looking almost identical that takes 10mm wide staples, or does a T50 do something special.

Also what was the original door card inner made from? It just looks like compressed card so is the  hardboard sheet (4mm) the normal option to replace it with. Not sure about having a go but mine are a little tatty its probably either give it a go or buy new.

The other thing is the plastic from the door internals. I get what the sheet stuck over the door under the door card does but what about the sheet that’s inside and is attached to the glass, see pic.

Mine just folds up and half unfolds as the window goes up and down but doesn’t seem to perform a useful function. But then again its clearly not attached as it would have been from new so do I simply cut it out or reattached it, if so how?

Cheers    Keith

DSC_4905 a.jpg

Original plastic water curtains are 3 piece, front and rear are clipped up under the inner weather strip and round the window slides and the centre one is under the glass mounting lower rail and just hangs down to the base of the door when you wind the window up. Oiled hardboard or 3mm marine ply is best to use for replacement boards.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

Sounds overly complex, but hey what do i know i don't design cars.

Think i'll get rid of the sheet inside my door as i can't see it performs a useful funcation these days.

But i'll ad a sheet stuck to the inner side of the door so its between the door and the door card to stop the door car getting wet.

Cheers   Keith

2 hours ago, Keith66 said:

Hi Stuart

Sounds overly complex, but hey what do i know i don't design cars.

Think i'll get rid of the sheet inside my door as i can't see it performs a useful funcation these days.

But i'll ad a sheet stuck to the inner side of the door so its between the door and the door card to stop the door car getting wet.

Cheers   Keith

So it maybe but if fitted properly they do work and protect the door innards as well as the door cards. When I had to replace my drivers door after it getting heavily damaged by a side swipe the door shell was still perfect and the door card and the window slides had no sign of water damage after at least 25yrs of use in all weathers. I made a point of making new curtains when I restored it originally and I know theyre a faff to fit but IMHO theyre worth it. I would keep what you have and make new front and rears.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

I'm keen to get things as correct as possible, within reason, but i really can't picture it.

Any pics or are there any reference diagram out there to help me see what i might be aiming at?

Cheers    Keith

No pictures but see here for a rough idea of what you need Door fittings

The two end sections need to be the whole depth of the door plus an extra inch to allow for the folded over section at the top that has a little card stiffener stapled in, this is the bit that clips onto the skin side of the door skin return on the window slot, where the inner seal is clipped to the inner side of that lip, you have about 6 inches spare that is wrapped round the front and is held in by the door window slide and the same at the rear wrapped around the rear of the door shell and held in place by the slide. The middle one is contained in the metal channel that fits to the bottom of the door glass on the door skin side and is long enough to reach to the bottom of the door when the glass is fully up, its not fixed anywhere else just hangs down. I use thin clear plastic sheet. They should all be wide enough to overlap round on the inside door card side.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi All

Can't remember what the inside of the doors looked like when i got it but either there was no or little plastic sheet there or i binned it if it was horrible and nasty without thinking much about it.

Up to that point i'd only played with newer cars, late 70's or 80's which as far as i can recall had a single moisture barrier on the inner door skin. And thats what i'd kind of planned to do.

Searching for a suitable image to show what i mean i can across this.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/door-panel-moisture-barrier-645-470.html

Which is what i'd planned to do but by making my own and using double sided tape rather than buying at a seeminly high price for a bit of plastic cut to shape.

But does the old version do anything else that this method won't but is important, given my car will live in a garage and won't get too wet very often.

Cheers   Keith