Plugs and coils

Over the past week or so I have experienced fouled plugs when caught in heavy traffic. 
While this is not unusual in a PI today my coil failed.

With a new coil the car feels to be running better.

Could a weak and failing coil exacerbate plug fouling? It makes sense to me, a weak coil giving a weak spark leading to plug fouling.

Edited by John McCormack
17 hours ago, Mike C said:

Was the engine missing when the plugs fouled? 

Yes, missing badly when revved under loads, even light loads.

I got a good drive in today (bear in mind I live in the centre of a big city so a good drive isn't >90km/h freeway stuff) with a good bit of idling without bad plug fouling. When I pulled the plugs No1 was a bit dark, not wet, but the others were an OK colour.

1 hour ago, John McCormack said:

Yes, missing badly when revved under loads, even light loads.

I got a good drive in today (bear in mind I live in the centre of a big city so a good drive isn't >90km/h freeway stuff) with a good bit of idling without bad plug fouling. When I pulled the plugs No1 was a bit dark, not wet, but the others were an OK colour.

There's a fair chance the coil couldn't fire the plugs properly, causing missing and associated plug fouling. Hopefully you've solved your plug fouling problem.