My TR3 (TS 21965) has an ongoing brake problem. When first used this year there was a lot of pedal movement and so I bled the brakes resulting in the usual excellent pedal and effective brakes. This soon "went off" and I have since carried out two further bleedings with the same result. The fluid level in the reservoir does not drop and I can see no signs of leakage anywhere. Anyone had a similar vexperience? Any suggestions?

Hi Dave,

when you bleed the system are any air bubbles present in the bleed tube etc.  Why would air get in just because it has been left standing for a few months

Have you got excess play in your wheel bearings. This can give the effect of pad knock back and give a long pedal travel. Not sure how it would get like that by just standing for a while.

Have you changed the caliper seals in the last couple of years - new ones seem a lot more grippy than originals.

Roger

I've experienced similar problems over the years on different cars.Everything is super and then the pedal disappears or

goes spongy especially after a period of inactivity. It has usually been an air leak at the  one of the various banjos or the copper sealing washers for the banjos,at various points around the braking system.They let in a miniscule amount of air as opposed to obviously leaking fluid,over varying periods of time.As Roger has asked, if you are getting air bubbles from any of the wheel cylinders (other than the air already present) you may wish to tweak the banjo bolt if fitted or replace/anneal the copper washer to restore theseal.

Good luck. Not always easy to track down!

Roger M-E

Secondary thoughts: Silicone brake fluid can cause a sticking master cylinder seal and gives a similar effect, a quick pump of the pedal can release it and very old traditional fluid or fluid with absorbed water may also liberate gas after a period of non use. Check that rear drum shoes are not sticking and both cylinders bone dry.