Tr3A Front Wing Profile

Hi All.

I have been back working on my 3A, doing a mini restoration on a few panels, and return the car to its original color,well that’s how it started, so you know the rest of the story.

Anyway I am not 100 percent happy with my front wings, they have previously had the lower 12 inch lower part of the panels replaced badly and covered in filler. I have removed the filler and tried to return the panel to its proper shape, however it has still needed some filler, maybe a little more than I would have liked.

Nearly pulling my hair out here.

As I don’t have another Tr3a to look at on The Rock I am hoping that some kind person may be able to help me with a few photos  of a front wing with a straight edge  horizontally and vertically against the area behind the wheel, to try and show its shape.

Thanking you

Guy

8 hours ago, Jersey Royal said:

Hi All.

I have been back working on my 3A, doing a mini restoration on a few panels, and return the car to its original color,well that’s how it started, so you know the rest of the story.

Anyway I am not 100 percent happy with my front wings, they have previously had the lower 12 inch lower part of the panels replaced badly and covered in filler. I have removed the filler and tried to return the panel to its proper shape, however it has still needed some filler, maybe a little more than I would have liked.

Nearly pulling my hair out here.

As I don’t have another Tr3a to look at on The Rock I am hoping that some kind person may be able to help me with a few photos  of a front wing with a straight edge  horizontally and vertically against the area behind the wheel, to try and show its shape.

Thanking you

Guy

I have not got a picture to hand, and in any case both my front wings have been similarly repaired, but the profile you are after matches the door at the back and is pretty much flat by the time it gets to the wheel arch. I will try to get a pic tomorrow for you.

Ralph

8 hours ago, Jersey Royal said:

Hi All.

Guy

Welcome back Guy!
Ian

Guy, nice to see you back here. We have missed you.

I did that same repair on my left front wing. Quite an ordeal doing it for the first time even with a lot of guidance from Stuart.

I also have at least one front wing in the basement that has not been terribly molested if you can show us what you want to see. Generally as Ralph says the rear edge just follows the shape of the door and the bottom edge needs to tuck under the sill at the bottom so it fits snug there and the bolt holes line up. If I were doing this again I would pay the $800 for a repro front wing and start with that or rather than try and fit the repair panel just replace the rotted out flat pieces and stay away from the wheel arch.

Stan

2 hours ago, foster461 said:

rather than try and fit the repair panel just replace the rotted out flat pieces and stay away from the wheel arch.

Stan

+1.

That`s what I did too, cut the flat section out about an inch back from the wired edge and let the new panel in to avoid losing the wheel arch profile.

Ralph

Hi Chaps,

Thank you for your kind words, and PMs.

Hope you are all well.

I will try and take some photos over the weekend to show what I mean, my panels do follow on from the door profile , and I can achieve a straight line with long straight edge along the very bottom edge of the wing, through on the bottom of the cill. 

Now we cant use photobucket, what is the usual procedure to place photos on forum.

Thanking You

Guy

Re photos, .JPG format, make sure they are not too big (<1mb) then just drag them into the box below the text you are writing where it says "Drag files here to attach"

Then click on the "+" sign in the photo & it will be transfered to the message box above. If you wish to decrease it's size double click on the photo, & type in a smaller number in the size field. (make sure the "keep existing aspect ratio" box is ticked.

Bob.

Thank you Bob for the info.

Tom, thanks very much for taking the time to take those photos, I have had a brief quick look at mine with a straight edge, no photos yet, and it looks very similar.  Pictures to help a great deal with things like this, and will take some of mine, weekends are always busy in my household with the four legged.

Thanks Again

Guy