New forum formatting

57 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Did anyone know that we were getting a new forum format/layout? I didn't and it does not seem to lay out properly on my laptop. I use IE on Windows 10 and the new layout looks like this on my screen:

Doc1.pdf 388.64 kB · 7 downloads

Anyone got any ideas?

Very annoying.

Thanks,

Sean

Hi Sean

I have issues on my iPad but not on my iPhone, both using Safari. However I have iOS version 9.3.5 on my iPad one ( doubt it will update) and 11.2.1 on my iPhone so this could be a problem. I can only reply and view in correct format on my iPhone. 

In your case I would try Chrome ( free download ) as it’s a better browser than IE anyway,  or MS edge. You might find that corrects your issues.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin and Bob

I already use chrome and edge in different circumstances, but as a creature of habit have always opened the forum and most of my daily visit sites in IE. I don't seem to be able to get a desktop shortcut to a site if using chrome. 

I was a little bit irritated at having this sprung on me without any warning, but I'm over it now :lol:

Sean

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2020 at 11:12 PM, boxofbits said:

Hi Sean

I have issues on my iPad but not on my iPhone, both using Safari. However I have iOS version 9.3.5 on my iPad one ( doubt it will update) and 11.2.1 on my iPhone so this could be a problem. I can only reply and view in correct format on my iPhone. 

In your case I would try Chrome ( free download ) as it’s a better browser than IE anyway,  or MS edge. You might find that corrects your issues.

Kevin

Yes I too suffer lack of functionality on an iPad running ios 9.35, which is the most recent operating system that version of iPad will update to and on an iMac running Maverics. (10.9)  The iMac I will not update the ios on as all my legitimately owned Adobe programs are then blitzed with a virus from Adobe telling me they are pirated.  No, they are legitimate and I have the licences to prove it, what they want is to get me to sign up to 'generation rent'   Happy to do that Mr Adobe,  just refund me my purchased licences.

Peter W

This forum doesn’t work properly on my I-pad air 2 software version 13.7 either. Sometimes especially here on Social Scene and Alec’s inn, I only get the left hand side of a page.

2EC6AE5A-D311-43B6-8ABD-5E32201EE5DA.jpeg

12 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

Sometimes especially here on Social Scene and Alec’s inn, I only get the left hand side of a page.

If you mean everything is compressed to a narrow column on the left-hand side, that happens for everyone Sue, it isn't your machine. It is because for some reason a column with some odd statistics stuff is inserted on the right hand side beside the first post on some threads. That means that all subsequent posts are squashed over to the left.  Most annoying and there doesn't seem any rhyme or reason as to which threads are affected.  You can see what I mean here:

page.jpg.9f7e12862c3230fe7967887ed214bc6f.jpg

Edited by RobH
57 minutes ago, RobH said:

If you mean everything is compressed to a narrow column on the left-hand side, that happens for everyone Sue, it isn't your machine. It is because for some reason a column with some odd statistics stuff is inserted on the right hand side beside the first post on some threads. That means that all subsequent posts are squashed over to the left.  Most annoying and there doesn't seem any rhyme or reason as to which threads are affected.  You can see what I mean here:

Ummm, that could be the same situation, not sure now.

It could be the display settings or the incorrect video adapter driver installed on a laptop which causes some screens to look squished. I have seen the stats bar on the right and it doesn’t affect readability on my iPad.

Having said that my iPad One still doesn’t read the update correctly with overlapped text etc in places which could still be a programming issue unresolved , but a) it has a useless memory and constantly reloads on modern web pages such as newspapers etc being an older device (non upgradable) and b) the firmware is out of date, again now non updateable. I expect used later iPads are now reasonably priced on Ebay for example.

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2020 at 5:12 PM, RobH said:

Thank you Wayne for removing this glitch and giving us full pages again.

Stuart.

38 minutes ago, stuart said:

+1 - thanks for getting that fixed. 

38 minutes ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

;)

Well done Wayne, now, any chance of fixing the photo re-sizing problem. The one where you attach a photo, place it in the text area, the double click to reduce its display size, to obtain a tidy post, which viewers can click on the photo to enlarge it. It used to work, but now you can go through the process, & it looks right on the screen up to the point when you save the post, at which time the re-sizing goes out the window, & the photos are full size again.

like this:

1627400893_NewlandsCorner1.jpg.4e0a2e3af5d18b1b316ffe189cbd39be.jpg

the photo was only about 1" high when I posted.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro