Repro windscreen.

Beware those who wish to replace their screen as the repro ones appear to be hewn with a hammer and chisel. i have never seen rougher glass other than my last attempt at glazing a picture, Fits where it touches sort of.

I tried to smooth the lower sharp corners with a power file but gave up after achieving  nothing other than shards of flaking glass. It was like trying to put a pig in a prom dress but worse..

Looked worse than Nora batty's stockings.

It took two of us, much thanks to Alan Graham of TR6 fame, alot of slippy stuff to sort of get the factory set sort of round the glass and frame. At least it is in without a broken glass.

Not sure where I get them as I bought two screens five or so years ago but Perhaps the quality has improved but I obviously could not return it as a reject after this length of time.

All I can say is that it is in and looks OK and no cracks, or breaks in the laminations.

Rod

2 hours ago, Colin V said:

Where’s the best place for windscreen. Colin

If you want a really good one then pay the money for a Triplex one from Moss, the rest come from a variety of places but most cheaper ones are made in Turkey now.

Stuart.

13 hours ago, stuart said:

If you want a really good one then pay the money for a Triplex one from Moss, the rest come from a variety of places but most cheaper ones are made in Turkey now.

Stuart.

Mine came in a kit from Rimmers and had a made in China label. Seems OK though,

Ralph

As an update on the screen fitting:

I decided to leave the screen to settle and allow the seal to relax. I then trimmed off the excess rubber seal from the inside of the screen.

As I trimmed across the bottom rail the edge of the screen was just visible and in the centre right at the edge of the frame.

Bo!!ocks, it looks as if the screen is also narrow as well as raggy. Back to the drawing board and start again.

I dug out my old screen which has no marks on the glass and would polish up a treat. The only issue about refitting it is that there are slight areas where the internal laminate is going to be visible. Given that it is 60 years old I am not that worried about it so the question is old versus new ill fitting one.

Should I embrace the fact it is an original one albeit with a nice fresh chromed surround or should I try to make the new nasty one fit by probably having to bend the frame to match?

Suggestions on a postcard please.

I will check screen measurements when I get over my discust at repro parts.

Rod

After breaking a new Triplex screen (it cracked overnight on a cold winters day) I bought a repro at half the price. It looked good and fitted ok but the glass was noticeably thinner. Never driven it in the rain so no idea if it leaks or not but since the rubber seal to the scuttle also isnt fitting properly the screen glass leaking is moot.

Stan

I have decided to go back to the original screen when I can find a rubber that does not degrade in the wrapper before even being fitted. I will do sme careful measurements of relative thicknesses before buying screen rubber as Revington offer variable thicknesses. 

Repro rubber items degrade faster than you can look at them, total **** no matter what you pay.

Rod

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gents,

just an update on the screen situation. I removed the new screen after much soul searching. I dug out the old screen warts and all. It cleaned up well but the internal film is starting to de-laminate but worse is the fact the the replacement is a different shape, narrower by 1/8th to 1/4" in the middle. This means that it will never fit and give sufficient overlap the top and bottom of the frame for an adequate seal.

So start all over again and try to fit the frame over the old screen which may not be as robust as the repro one given it's age.

Rgds

Rod

A local member here in Sussex, chose a fine day and rove the frame down to Revingtons and came back the same day with it all fitted and fine. The new chrome looks very smart but his wallet is a bit lighter now.

The result is full marks.

Richard & B