Goodridge front hoses for TR3A with TR4A front suspension,

While rebuilding my TR3A I upgraded my front suspension with TR4A components to give me the 3deg castor angle. I also have TR6 wire wheels and rack and pinion steering and fitted Goodridge classic hoses.  Unfortunately the hoses on full lock rub on the wheels.  The Goodridge hoses I got were for a TR3A and all three hoses are the same length.  Has anyone made the upgrade and if so did they experience the same problem.  There is a set of hoses for a TR4 with a rigid rear axle which seem to have shorter hoses for the front, area these the ones I should have used, or is there another solution.

I fitted a set to my 3a with 165 tyred wires, I had to alter the angle of the support brackets and play with the angles on full lock. Although in my case I did not need it, I imagine that you may need to use a caliper bolt to also catch an additional bracket that roots the hose away from the wider wheel.

I would not have thought that the offset of a 6 wheel would be much more than a 3A wheel as I thought the extra width was in an outer offset.? Don't know so I will no doubt get an answer, likely a derogetery one. But easy to check with a tape measure and a lump of wood.

Good Luck and post what you did to get the result as I'm sure someone else will need the info sometyime.

Rgds

Rod.

You can make rigid pipes from the caliper if you have the kit to make them 
but for simplicity sake And I don’t have the flare tools,  I bought the revington kit. 
https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr4076ssk/name/pipe-kit-caliperss-hoses

9 hours ago, Hamish said:

You can make rigid pipes from the caliper if you have the kit to make them 
but for simplicity sake And I don’t have the flare tools,  I bought the revington kit. 
https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr4076ssk/name/pipe-kit-caliperss-hoses

This is what you need, I had exactly the same problem after going for the 3° castor on my '3

Bob.

P.S.  It's not difficult to make your own if you have a pipe swageing tool

Edited by Lebro
1 hour ago, iain said:

The original hoses all had a spiral wire protection. Unfortunately I believe these are NLA .

I use plastic spiral cable-wrap.

wrap.jpg.f0d68ce77221a5cae0cd97ede053a009.jpg

Thank you all for your quick responses.  The  Revington solution looks like the best option but I understand that SUVs with their large travel also have this problem and solve it with rubber donuts on the hose so a cable-wrap is also on the right lines.   Also I understand that this is not actually a MOT failure but an advisory as it is an intermittent possibility, however I would prefer not to leave it to chance.

Des.

I've just ordered some Spiral Hose Guard HDPE from a company called Hilltop Products which I'll fit in the interim and then as a winter job make up the solid pipes as per Revington.  So again thanks to all of you for your helpful inputs.

Des.

I know this is exactly what you are guarding against, but please DO act quickly and replace the damaged item if you have any kind of rubbing on a braided hose; the inner pipe is nowhere near as robust as a standard hose and can burst fairly easily with no support from the braiding.

Guess how I know...!

Yes I looked at them today but so far there is no evidence that they have actually rubbed  and the spiral hose guards should arrive tomorrow. The idea is that they will prevent damage until I give them the full Revington treatment. The spiral hose guards are designed for industrial use.

Des.