Sluggish overdrive engagement

Hello David, and welcome to our forum,

easiest thing to check is oil level in the gearbox, first call and then get back to us.

David, I have changed the title to something more relevent to your question, it will get you more answers and aid

searches for other forum users in the future.

John.

It could be that the contact on top of the solenoid which disconnects the pull-in coil, is failing to re-establish the connection when the solenoid is de-energised.  If that happens, the poor, rather weak, hold-in coil will struggle to operate the solenoid, but may eventually succeed given time and a following wind!

I wrote an article in the early days of the club, and you'll find it in the Technicalities CD, pages D49 & D50.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc
CD page references

Welcome David,

Nice looking car (& the best model) and colour scheme; is that ‘Geranium’ ?

After years and years of flawless operation, my overdrive played-up end of last year... long story (played out on here) in the end I did it properly with the tunnel out, complete rewire and new solenoid 

Good luck

Tony

Something else to check is the overdrive switch. My overdrive had similar characteristics but I realised if I operated the switch firmly it engaged quicker. Stripped the switch to find corrosion on the contacts clearly causing high resistance, cleaned everything and reassembled it and all was well and still is 3 years later.

Mick

2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Something else to check is the overdrive switch. My overdrive had similar characteristics but I realised if I operated the switch firmly it engaged quicker. Stripped the switch to find corrosion on the contacts clearly causing high resistance, cleaned everything and reassembled it and all was well and still is 3 years later.

Mick

That is a very useful observation. Thanks for sharing Mick

Iain

Similar problem a few years ago. I removed the switch, tapped all the dust out of it, working fine for the last few years. 

• 1 month later...

I am late to this topic but.......My overdrive would engage but then would not release.

I tried the oil/solenoid/switch first but eventually traced the issue to the pressure valve.

It is a gearbox tunnel off operation.

This is my valve in the picture. There is a small hole the size of a pin and this was blocked with the smallest piece of crud/grit.

If you have a gearbox rebuild I guess it is possible to have the smallest bits of metal floating around? This was potentially my issue.

It is a DIY job but it is just a faff and be careful not to drop anything. One part is a ball bearing for instance and if that drops????????

Once unblocked everything worked fine and has done since. (4 years).

Best wishes

img-8789_orig.thumb.jpg.dddefc1a608ba634f6de8df16c313830.jpgimg-8773.jpg.ee552ca1bfbf512d32e5c52606ab732e.jpg