Drive Shaft inspection

16 minutes ago, Richmac said:

Thanks Mick. Yes the 6 nylon nuts holding assembly into the trailing arm is what I am doing. Its not clear in the WSM.  16ib doesn't sound very much but thanks for confirming that for me.

Regards Richard

Hi Richard,

the major force on these studs is a shear force. Very little force is trying to pull the studs out.

The torque figure can't be high as this would simply strip the Ali thread.

So TRiumph used a UNF thread (very clever). This thread form has less tendency to unscrew.

Usually UNC is used in soft material but can undo if not torqued to a higher degree.

Roger

Thanks Roger. A free lesson in engineering. Why though do they want to use an soft material like Ali? This must have less of a resistance to shear force as well? I have dug out an old torque wrench I never thought I would use but had to convert to NM (21.693087173) Should be able to get that spot on then!! 

On 9/20/2020 at 1:19 AM, Richmac said:

Thanks Roger. A free lesson in engineering. Why though do they want to use an soft material like Ali? This must have less of a resistance to shear force as well? I have dug out an old torque wrench I never thought I would use but had to convert to NM (21.693087173) Should be able to get that spot on then!! 

Torque wrenches aren't expensive and can age, especially with misuse. I bought a new one and borrowed an engineering one and when I compared them all found my old one was out quite a long way. 

They are an essential item in the tool box of a TR owner.

On 9/19/2020 at 4:19 PM, Richmac said:

Because if they tried to make these trailing arms out of steel you would need a 3 litre engine too pull them !

Mick Richards