Drive Shaft inspection

Hi Drive shaft play was an advisory on my recent mot. I have taken the hub part out to inspect and grease. Unfortunately I have never looked at one before so I am unsure  what I should look for. The splines look ok to me and I can't feel any play by hand in the UJ. Please could somebody help me with a idiots guide of what to look for please and any other tips

Thank you Richard

tr6 drive shaft.jpg

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I don't know the difference between  end float, worn splines, failing hub or worn U joint either. Any tips or am I out of my depth and need an expert? I must say that one of the reasons for buying this car was the long stream of MOT's without fails or advises. I thought I was just unlucky that 900 miles later I get hit on my first mot and when I ask if its a big job to replace shafts mechanic replies he 'doesn't know as he's never done one' 

Lock off the UJ by putting Something around / through it to stop it spinning and then assemble the two half’s of the shaft on the bench.  Then try twisting them. If the UJ is locked off then any movement detected will be in the splines (because with everything else locked off then that is all it can be). Hopefully there will be no movement there.  My best guess as to the movement would be worn UJ or backlash in the diff. 

Edited by aardvark
More detail added

Hi Richard,

it's not easy to detect spline wear from moving the wheel/tyre.

The drive shaft splines can wear - remove all grease from both halves and then check for movement. There will be some but just a gnats. Look for wear marks on the spline.

The UJ is often the usual suspect.  Hold one half of the shaft in a vice and try to move the hub. You should not be able to find any movement.

New UJ are not expensive but do buy quality units  - these work well https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/search-results?q=tvc100010gx2

However before you attack/change everything, did you hear/detect a clonk when accelerating  - if not then dodn;t bother with the above as you will hear it before any major problems.

Roger

Thank you Rodger. I will do as you say but I didn't notice any clonks. I think I will put it back together pending further research!! I don't want to go over old ground, I read through all the old posts on the subject but can't remember what grease you recommended? Also I will change the nylock nuts as I know you suggested that, any particular strength required? Is the toque important as I don't understand the settings in the WSM and don't have a toque wrench is it the rear hub assembly 120ib? And John. as for reconnecting I have looked at the WSM and no specific notes on reassembly into the spline? Does it matter or even help the wear if the spline is rotated on another spline or does it have to go back exactly as it came apart? Sorry for the novice questions but I am a novice and don't want to make a novice mistake

Regards Richard     

Its difficult to explain in words but I will try.

The yokes on ether end of the sliding parts must be in the same plain, see picture of item 1, here  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/drive-shafts-propshafts/propshaft-driveshaft-s-tr5-6-1967-76.html

Sometimes there is a master spline so cannot be joined wrongly, but not always,  If you are even one spline out it will rattle a lot in drive at a bit of an angle.

John

17 minutes ago, foster461 said:

Dont overtighten the trailing arm stud nuts when you reinstall or we will be having another discussion about helicoils.

Stan

16ftlbs is the torque setting for those nuts do not exceed.

Stuart.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:22 PM, stuart said:

16ftlbs is the torque setting for those nuts do not exceed.

Stuart.

Sorry to doubt but is this right? Is it not the rear hub assembly in the WSM 120LB Ft or 16.6KGFM

No...they are talking about the 6 x studs with nylon nuts which hold the hub assembly complete onto the trailing arm. They are only 16 lb ft torque, easily achieved by hand, but use a torque wrench, DON’t overtighten.

I think you are confusing them with the large nut onto the stub axle which the hub assembly includes, can’t remember the torque figures but it’s lots.

Mick Richards

Thanks Mick. Yes the 6 nylon nuts holding assembly into the trailing arm is what I am doing. Its not clear in the WSM.  16ib doesn't sound very much but thanks for confirming that for me.

Regards Richard

12 minutes ago, Richmac said:

Thanks Mick. Yes the 6 nylon nuts holding assembly into the trailing arm is what I am doing. Its not clear in the WSM.  16ib doesn't sound very much but thanks for confirming that for me.

Regards Richard

You would soon know about it if you tried 120lbs on the six studs :wacko:

Stuart.

Edited by stuart