Revington HQ Temp sender

Does anyone have experience with Revington's HQ Temperature transmitter? Rather pricey but given the poor reputation of the sending units available from the usual sources it may be well worth the price.

link: https://www.revingtontr.com/product/gtr108-1/name/hq-temp-transmitter-tr2-8-5-8-x-18unf

gtr108-1-5701275_t.jpg

If you want it accurate, why not send your gauge to CAI (who happen to be next door to Speedy Cables) and ask them to supply a sender that matches the gauge and also ask them to check the accuracy. That's what I did so I now know my temp gauge is 100% accurate - they sent a photo of the test to confirm.

Both companies are very helpful but I have found they don't answer e-mails, so just phone instead.

6 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

If you want it accurate, why not send your gauge to CAI (who happen to be next door to Speedy Cables) and ask them to supply a sender that matches the gauge and also ask them to check the accuracy. That's what I did so I now know my temp gauge is 100% accurate - they sent a photo of the test to confirm.

Both companies are very helpful but I have found they don't answer e-mails, so just phone instead.

Thanks for the suggestion Richard, but as I am on the other side of the Pond that would be difficult. Folks on this side do much the same sending the gauge and sending unit off to Nisonger or West Valley or such.

There is a local firm that I have used who I think could do the same.

Andy

This looks like a fairly standard temp sensor.. probably worth looking through the parts books..

Tim

All temperature senders are not the same. They come with differing resistance/temperature curves so you need the right one to match your gauge, it isn't one-size-fits-all.   Most gauges can be adjusted but there may not be enough adjustment if the sender is the wrong type. I posted the procedure for gauge adjustment on another recent thread. 

Out of interest, what is marked on the gauge. I can see one side says 120oC

Interestingly the format of the sensor seems to be fairly standard for BMC etc

temp sender example

Tim

2 hours ago, Tim D. said:

Out of interest, what is marked on the gauge. I can see one side says 120oC

Interestingly the format of the sensor seems to be fairly standard for BMC etc

temp sender example

Tim

My gauge is marked 70 and 100 degrees Centigrade.

I had posted this question originally on Sept 13 and there were no replies. A day later I ordered one but was soon informed that they were out of stock and would dispatch it as soon as it came in. I am still waiting.

Here is what Revington say about the item:

GTR108-1 is a high quality Temperature Sender suitable for all TR’s 2 (with an electrical instrument) to TR8. Assemble with an aluminium crush washer WA11013047 if a sealing washer is not supplied in the kit). GTR104 (TR4-4A) and GTR108 (TR250, 5, all TR6 and TR7/8) are virtually the same and share a common problem, especially currently available aftermarket parts, in that they can give unreliable readings and are prone to internal failure.

We recommend for best results using this high quality product GTR108-1 which will work with all TR4-6 and TR7-8 instruments as well as most British gauges of the period. Revington TR produce a full range of new TR2-6 instruments including electrical replacement temperature gauges for TR2-3B. We strongly recommend using GTR108-1 when installing one of our new instruments. See below for our instrument range.