Steel hardtop eBay

5 hours ago, tr graham said:

John

yes there are different sizes I believe the side 2 are the narrower ones . Not sure about a Glass window though ?

graham

Doubt its a glass window, the two side finishers are wide and then the three rear are narrow, looks like theres a spare wide one, only thing with the "Flocked finish is it can be hiding lots of nasties.

Stuart.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:04 PM, NCS_TR3A said:

Take it from someone who makes glass, that's not a glass back window. I think it's just the term they have used rather than trying to mislead. 

Neil

I quote from 'Original Triumph TR' by Bill Piggott

P117 Hard-top kit "Both types usually had perspex rear windows, but some glass ones exist"

By both types Bill means both glassfibre and steel hardtops.

Roger M-E

Very interested to hear glass ones existed but I would still be very surprised if that the one in the pictures is glass. It's the photo looking from the inside of the hard top that just doesn't look like glass and there are no markings on the glass, whether laminated or toughened you would see some markings on the glass, printed and burnt in. Obviously I cannot be 100% but I would still think its unlikely. Certainly if it is glass I would think its a good purchase for anyone needing a hard top, as the "plastic" ones are not great in my opinion. 

Edited by NCS_TR3A
One of many spellings
  • 4 weeks later...

Just for the record....

My eBay offer on this was accepted and I picked it up yesterday.  The rear light is, in fact, perspex as suggested by the photographs.  I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't glass, but not particularly surprised, and it was clearly a genuine mistake by the seller.  The top appears to be very solid and straight and will be a much better starting point than the very rusty one I had started to repair, so a good deal all round.

I wonder if there really were glass ones.

Dave.

1 hour ago, Dave Herrod said:

Just for the record....

My eBay offer on this was accepted and I picked it up yesterday.  The rear light is, in fact, perspex as suggested by the photographs.  I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't glass, but not particularly surprised, and it was clearly a genuine mistake by the seller.  The top appears to be very solid and straight and will be a much better starting point than the very rusty one I had started to repair, so a good deal all round.

I wonder if there really were glass ones.

Dave.

Well done Dave. 
the hardtops are becoming more popular. 

I'm pleased with mine that I did a thread on my fitting and refurbishment saga. 

I added 2 interior lights over the side screen apertures. 

and a high lever brake light to the top Center rear window.  the wiring is under my roof lining. ( non standard as I had roof bars for lining tension with mine)
and has a male female Wiring plug so easily disconnected. I also have a high level brake light on my roll bar that uses the same plug type when hard top not fitted. 

tip

its easier to work on if resting on a stack of wheels /tyres protected by a cloth. I had my race wheels stacked and it was really handy height and the roof sat in the wheel nicely and you could turn it at your desire. 

and I came up with a lift /storage system that is just one person operation. I used an old pair of ail crutches as the cross bar.

enjoy the refurb and finished article .

H

EA6076C4-B4CF-4FDA-9AA1-F2C311B3D715.jpeg

4B23C531-745C-45B0-928E-12149896B915.jpeg

42A2803E-8C92-4CBA-A877-22C55DD17B9E.jpeg

52C814D9-C0C4-4F0C-A951-8A8EB9642419.jpeg

7A82D1F6-9448-4DCB-A2C0-529FE6AA05E1.jpeg

A68E7E11-FD34-4ADA-917E-59535D051FF6.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Link