Surrey top chrome beading

Hi Folks,

during lockdown I fitted, amongst other things, the hard top.

It put up a struggle as it hadn't been in place for 22 years.

Anyway once on it looked pretty good. I have decided to keep it there for the Winter.

I noticed the other week that the upright gutter flanges look a bit bare. Having a raw edge sticking up doesn't quite look finished to me.

So I got some plastic chrome beading off Ebay and did the sides. It was easy to make a rear finishing end stop but the front was very awkward as it tapers down and is curved.

And then out of the blue a spark hit a grey cell. Run the beading all the way round from back to front, across to the other side and back to the rear..

As a  first effort it looks OK to me.

Roger

DSC_5026a.jpg

DSC_5027a.jpg

DSC_5028a.jpg

DSC_5029a.jpg

DSC_5030a.jpg

DSC_5031a.jpg

DSC_5032a.jpg

DSC_5033a.jpg

Hi Roger

I'm in the middle of making my roof panel usable again lots of rust to cut and patch and as the front lip is not dead straight so to speak a chrome trim might work well for mine I hope you dont mind me pinching your idea !! did you use the 8mm chrome edging?  

Chris

Good job Roger, expect us all to be fitting the same in the forthcoming year, is it Mini trim?

Mick Richards

Hi Roger

Looks very good. Can you specify exactly what size beading you have used. There are several sizes available on eBay.

Definitely gives the Surrey top more of a 60's feel. I have a 1960's roof rack that fits onto gutters as on the Surrey. Never fitted it to the car though. My dad used it on a Herald and a Vitesse then. Perhaps that is a project to clean it up and try it out. Not sure how much load it would take or even if it is a stupid idea since the top is only held on by 4 bolts.

Keith

Hi Mick/Chris,

it doesn't mention Mini but that was what I was hunting for.

It is 8mm deep x 6mm wide.   Not 'The' very best but pretty good.

It would have been nice in Chromed Brass.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-Chrome-Car-Door-Edge-Guard-Protector-Moulding-Trim-Molding-Strip/190773757402?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Beware that the pre-fitted glue won't last. Very soon you'll need something much stronger like outdoor 3M double-sided tape or contact adhesive if you're adept at messy undertakings :D 

Edited by Geko
5 hours ago, Geko said:

Beware that the pre-fitted glue won't last. Very soon you'll need something much stronger like outdoor 3M double-sided tape or contact adhesive if you're adept at messy undertakings :D 

Just thinking about this.

If the adhesive fails then I would have thought a few small spots of RTV Silcone would be the better replacement adhesive - slow setting and effective.

Roger

9 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Just thinking about this.

If the adhesive fails then I would have thought a few small spots of RTV Silcone would be the better replacement adhesive - slow setting and effective.

Roger

Sikaflex ? once it's on you don't often want it off.

Mick Richards

• 2 weeks later...