Inner and outer door seals

Hasn't he put the inner fluffy seal in upside down. The metal, which he says does not fit well, should be in the hook part of the clip. !!!:o

You certainly can fit the glass through the fitted seals - but sadly you can't fit the bottom channel AND the glass.

And you can't fit the glass into the bottom channel inside the door.

Fitting the seals correctly is a fairly easy job - time and patience needed

Roger

Hi All

Bit of a coincidence as I’ve fitted my seals today, well the drivers door anyway.

It was a bit of a pain but as I wasn’t following a guide I was kind of working it out as I went along and it will be easier doing the pass side.

But I’ll have to disagree with Roger on one point. You can fit the glass into the channels inside the door.

I’m near the end of a rebuild so I’d assembled the door ages ago so it was all working ok, but without seals.

I thought I could just pop the seals in and easily hook the clips into place, how stupid am I.

I did try installing the seals from the top, glass in place and maybe with the right tools and practice its easy, but I couldn’t do it.

So I thought I’d have a play. I removed the bottom stop and window actuator and eased the glass out of the channel. Simple so far. I then removed the glass channel at the lock end of the door and removed that as well, that enabled me to fully drop the glass to the bottom of the door and gave me access to the glass channel in the door from inside the door. Its then simple enough to get the external rubber seal in place and the clip sort of in position, the clips can then be pulled fully into place from the top with a J shaped puller. The “Fluffy” inner seal is quiet easy fit as the clips are a different shape. I then popped the glass channel back loosely in place and eased the glass back in the channels, installed the window actuator, adjusted it all and tightened it all up and job done.

And it all works pretty much as it should, but a lot of faffing around.

Cheers    Keith

Hi Keith,

you scoundrel - you cheated.

The video clip suggested they would put the glass in afterwards. 

The bottom channel will get passed the installed seals. And you can not fit the glass into the bottom channel inside the door.

However your way is quite cute. I thought about this ages ago but didn't think it would work - well done for giving it a go.

Fitting the the clips with the glass installed, although fiddly, are quite do'able.

Roger

9 hours ago, Keith66 said:

Hi All

Bit of a coincidence as I’ve fitted my seals today, well the drivers door anyway.

It was a bit of a pain but as I wasn’t following a guide I was kind of working it out as I went along and it will be easier doing the pass side.

But I’ll have to disagree with Roger on one point. You can fit the glass into the channels inside the door.

I’m near the end of a rebuild so I’d assembled the door ages ago so it was all working ok, but without seals.

I thought I could just pop the seals in and easily hook the clips into place, how stupid am I.

I did try installing the seals from the top, glass in place and maybe with the right tools and practice its easy, but I couldn’t do it.

So I thought I’d have a play. I removed the bottom stop and window actuator and eased the glass out of the channel. Simple so far. I then removed the glass channel at the lock end of the door and removed that as well, that enabled me to fully drop the glass to the bottom of the door and gave me access to the glass channel in the door from inside the door. Its then simple enough to get the external rubber seal in place and the clip sort of in position, the clips can then be pulled fully into place from the top with a J shaped puller. The “Fluffy” inner seal is quiet easy fit as the clips are a different shape. I then popped the glass channel back loosely in place and eased the glass back in the channels, installed the window actuator, adjusted it all and tightened it all up and job done.

And it all works pretty much as it should, but a lot of faffing around.

Cheers    Keith

Hi Kieth

I am squinting my eyes and trying to picture it . . did you take pictures by chance?!!!

Rich

Rich

Sorry never thought about any pic's.

Easy enough if abit of a faff, but bear in mind my door is bare, so no door card or plastic sheet so i can get bits out.

I unbolted the winder mech and eased the glass out from the runners and removed the mech and then unbolted the lock side glass channel.

There is then enough play in the parts to ease the glass out of the channel then that out of the door. Then the glass is loose enough to get to the seal channel from the bottom. I pushed the clips partly on and then used a home made J shaped tool to pull them on tightly.

As Roger says its do-able from above once you've done it a few times, but i don't plan to do it again.

Cheers    Keith