gearbox balance weight

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Where they ever fitted to the TR4. I thought they came in with the 4A - could be wrong though

Roger

+ 1 but I had one fitted to my TR4. I don't think many drivers know they are there unless they've taken their gearbox out.

Mick Richards

When I bought 4VC in 1969, it had one - but who knows whether it had been fitted by the Works in 1962/3, or by Gordon Birtwistle (Works test driver) after he acquired the car in early 1964.

When the car ate its gearbox, I removed the gearbox for repair and, having no idea what it was for, binned the dangly-do!

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc
additional info

Hi Roy,

The Gearbox Vibration Damper was first fitted to the TR3A circa 1962 and was subsequently used on both the TR4 and TR4A models, all of which is detailed in TRaction 323.

Below is a copy of the Standard Triumph drawing showing its installation on the rear of the gearbox tail.

Regards, Richard

image.png.d3c52917c9a49298587a62a79fe513ea.png

A very informative article in 323 , i just would like to see a photo of it fitted .

Strange that it is not shown in any of my parts books . I am sure that i am in the group who removed said item as not knowing what it was for :blink:

Roy

23 hours ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi Roy,

The Gearbox Vibration Damper was first fitted to the TR3A circa 1962 and was subsequently used on both the TR4 and TR4A models, all of which is detailed in TRaction 323.

Below is a copy of the Standard Triumph drawing showing its installation on the rear of the gearbox tail.

Regards, Richard

image.png.d3c52917c9a49298587a62a79fe513ea.png

Hi Richard,

many thanks for that clarification. I thought it was a 4A thing but it was 3 years and two models earlier.

Roger

46 minutes ago, roy53 said:

A very informative article in 323 , i just would like to see a photo of it fitted .

Strange that it is not shown in any of my parts books . I am sure that i am in the group who removed said item as not knowing what it was for :blink:

Roy

Roy - it fits on the end of the round bit of the gearbox rear extension or overdrive casing, and is clamped to it with a nut and bolt on the preformed part of the bracket on the side which is at 3.00 oclock ( or 9.00 oclock if other way round) with the central mounting bolt/nut pointing downwards - you can just about get it on or off by opening up the clamp a long way but a bit of a fiddle in situ.

By the way, I sent you a PM a few days ago which I see you haven't yet read

Cheers Rich 

I recall having one of these dampers fitted to  my 4A ( D.O.M. 17/10/66) on acquisition. At the time I had no idea of its purpose and recall removing it in the 70s to save weight. The TRactor engine and drive train will never be the smoothest of set ups but I have never been conscious of a particular vibration in the range of 2700 -3300rpm mentioned.

Tim