Frequency Analysis

In an idle moment I ranked my computer letter keys as well as I could in order of how polished they had become through use. I found that my list from most shiny to least corresponded remarkably well with a table I found of relative frequency of use in a selection of English newspaper articles and books with a total sample size of 100,362 alphabetic characters. On reflection this result was hardly surprising and I wonder why I even bothered to post, I really should get out more - oh that's right I can't!

Tim

On the same theme a Facebook friend of mine posted this, this morning.

I know this will have a very limited circulation? But, because this is my only access to any media! And begging your tolerance. On behalf of many like me, born before the second War War, and now being elderly. I would like to make a heartfelt Appeal to younger people in the present "BIG CRISIS". Us, as you will have learnt, in our young days having already suffered a very "BIG CRISIS" back then which WE had to face up too! Our parents were sent to war, (sadly with many parents not returning), and us at home, (those of us that are left,) having survived intense bombing in some areas, (which I can assure you, was very frightening!) But thankfully in the end, the sacrifice our parents made, gave us all the freedom we enjoy today! And, a lot of us now with ailments, are now very frightened again! As with Covid19 many of us may not even survive it? And also many of us having now had to  suffer one 12 week lock down and isolation already, a lot of us perhaps widowed and alone? Really finding these longer enforced isolation's very hard! Plus, with most of us having been brought up to be independent, also find having to rely on others for shopping etc very difficult.  So come on you younger generation, whilst being young you could maybe survive it? Its your turn now, to not go without total freedom BUT TO  STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND PLEASE PLEASE help us to hopefully survive it also? By Heeding the efforts and warnings  being made by scientists and authorities, ABOUT SOCIAL GATHERINGS, BEACH AND STREET PARTIES and social Distancing, Which as our common sense should tell us, will at least help avoid another long lock down and major National (& Worldwide) catastrophe (as if its not bad enough already!) And just think, perhaps your parents or Grandparents could be affected by this terrible Virus, with the prospect of being shut in Hospital alone! Unless it brought under control?

Roger was so frustrated at not being able to do all of our long trips to Scotland, Wales , Cornwall, New Forest etc  this summer that on Wednesday he shot of to Cornwall in the TR4A overnight and returned yesterday afternoon. He just loves driving his TR.

Edited by SuzanneH

You are spot on Hamish. They came 2nd and 3rd respectively on my 'polished keys' list, as opposed to 2nd and 9th courtesy of the list I found or, indeed, the well known ETAOIN SHRDLU.

Yes Sue, I know exactly how Roger feels. My Sue has just had a shoulder replacement operation so we have to self isolate for a while, physio will start immediately afterwards and meanwhile I am assisting her with regular exercises at home to regain mobility and help repair. Obviously our usual winter trip Down Under is out this year so log fires at home beckon. I long for the day when Sue is comfortable enough to accompany me on a blast somewhere, anywhere, in the TR. I am really looking forward to a 6 mile round trip for an MoT test on 24th! 

Tim