Vin Number and Engine number

Hello All,

Can anybody help me with advice. My log book tells me the Vin number is CP521740 where as engine number is CP51839HE. Clearly an engine swap I think at quite an early stage.

Does anybody know what the HE stands for on the engine number out of interest? I will be having the head off in the next few months and wonder what might be the best Head Gasket might be, I do not understand what Tag also means.

Many Thanks

Kevin

Kevin  - has your car got overdrive ? if it left the factory with one, this is signified on the Vin number with an "O" at the end of the number. This is often misread as a zero and added to the serial number.

I wouldn't mind betting your vin number is CP52174 followed by a space and then an "O" , in which case I think your engine number is within the normal range of a matching numbers car - the way to double check is to get a Heritage Certificate which will confirm all the details for you - these are available from https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates

Hope this helps Cheers Rich

The tag on the head gasket is used to identify a different cylinder block, the tag will stick out at the rear of the block. The cylinder blocks were changed at some point and will have a small recess around the top of the cylinder, if your block is like this it will need a gasket with a tag.

See Moss picture https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/gasket-cylinder-head-recessed-block-ajm387.html?assoc=127266  the tag can be seen on the righthand end of the this gasket.

John

8 hours ago, kevine said:

Hello All,

Can anybody help me with advice. My log book tells me the Vin number is CP521740 where as engine number is CP51839HE. Clearly an engine swap I think at quite an early stage.

Does anybody know what the HE stands for on the engine number out of interest? I will be having the head off in the next few months and wonder what might be the best Head Gasket might be, I do not understand what Tag also means.

Many Thanks

Kevin

HE identified the high compression PI engines .

Kevin,

The DVLA in their wisdom have interpreted your O for overdrive as a zero and lumped them together on your V5C. I have exactly the same issue and have given up trying to get them to change it having tried twice now.  As for your engine number it is correct for the commission number.  The TR6 either side of yours in our database have engine numbers of CP51837HE ( vin CP52172-O) and  CP51845HE ( vin CP52175-O).

As noted by Mike HE stands for High compression Engine and your TR6 engine shouldn't have the "tag", this came in with the 1972 model TR6 at vin CP75001 when the recessed cylinder block noted by Jon was introduced.

Derek