Indicator woes

3 hours ago, boxofbits said:

Probably get arrested for some of those ‘out of the window’ gestures now

I have to use hand signals when driving my 1930 car, and I sometimes do with the TR too to emphasise the indicators. Not been arrested yet and people do seem to understand the meaning - either that or they are giving me plenty of room because they are wondering what the loony is up to. :rolleyes:

Edited by RobH
1 hour ago, RobH said:

In have to use hand signals when driving my 1930 car, and I sometimes do with the TR too to emphasise the indicators. Not been arrested yet and people do seem to understand the meaning - either that or they are giving me plenty of room because they are wondering what the loony is up to. :rolleyes:

:lol: it’s a protocol that unfortunately has been forgotten. I was taught hand signals when I learned to drive and they are extremely useful.

But you’re right maybe vintage and classic car drivers are given a wide berth, for reasons of which we may never truly know! :wacko:

Kevin

When I took my test hand signals were compulsory, as it was mid winter and heaving it down with rain it wasnt much fun!

Stuart.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:22 PM, keith1948 said:

Hi

As you will see from my original reply to you I thought it might be that the switch and the cancelling clip were just too far apart to work since I have had this as well. Rather than shim the cancelling clip I moved the switch towards the clip. The cancelling clip locates in a 'slot' on the column to keep it in the correct position. I would be concerned that the shim might fall out as you are driving along depending on how you have fitted it.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I tried your tip at closing the gap by moving the switch inwards but it would not get close enough. I did wonder if the switch was correct but apparently so. it isn’t the original one as I fitted this one in March 1997 and it worked but over a period of time and little use, 100 or so miles a year on average it became stiff in operation but worked off the car after a clean and lubrication, but then the non cancelling. The clip seems secure but I share your thoughts that it could fall out but it is very secure and is less than one eighth of an inch thick.

When I (re)took my motorcycle test in 2020 after moving to Canada, I took it riding my 1965 Norton which has no indicators. 

The first thing the tester does is confirm that your vehicle is road-worthy which includes checking indicators. "Please turn on the left-hand indicator" says the tester.

Pause. 

I look him right in the eye...deadpan expression on my face and hold out my left arm.  With not a hint of a smile, he says "right-hand indicator" and I hold out my arm accordingly. 

"Thank you.  Ok, let's proceed."

Somehow I stifled my laughter, and off we went. Hilarious. 

Tim