Picked up a 1976 Triumph TR7 in central Iowa on Monday. Being new to the Triumph TR7, I tried to back her off of the trailer and put her in reverse and started to let off the clutch. She then made a loud pop and decided to try again maybe holding the gear shifter in thinking she popped out of the gear. Same instance happened, she popped real loud. I decided to put the car in neutral and push her off. 1st gear works as do the others no problem. 

What could cause that sound of an issue? 

also a rough idle. She’ll go between 500-1500 Rpms and almost die then jump back up to 1000-1500 then back down. Is that a fuel/carburetor issue? (Also have new fuel in the tank) or would it be the timing of the distributor? 

thanks 

1st job, take the plugs out. They will tell you what is going on inside. Next check the distibutor cap and rotor arm. Finally carburettor if you don't find the fault with the first two.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:36 AM, 1976-TR7 said:

Picked up a 1976 Triumph TR7 in central Iowa on Monday. Being new to the Triumph TR7, I tried to back her off of the trailer and put her in reverse and started to let off the clutch. She then made a loud pop and decided to try again maybe holding the gear shifter in thinking she popped out of the gear. Same instance happened, she popped real loud. I decided to put the car in neutral and push her off. 1st gear works as do the others no problem. 

What could cause that sound of an issue? 

also a rough idle. She’ll go between 500-1500 Rpms and almost die then jump back up to 1000-1500 then back down. Is that a fuel/carburetor issue? (Also have new fuel in the tank) or would it be the timing of the distributor? 

thanks