Problems registering tax & test exempt

Not sure if I've posted this in the correct place but here goes.....

September 2020 - DISASTER!! - 'covid 19' or just incompetance?

My Spitfire 1500, registered 1st August 1980 should now be tax & test exempt. I received my tax reminder about three weeks before hand, and went to the post office to do the biz. She scanned the bar code on the V5c and said that it's not yet listed as tax / test free so come back just after the 1st of August. I went in again about 8th August and she said the same thing, all assuming that there's probably no-one currently home at DVLA, and suggested I send the V5c to DVLA myself (?!) which I did + form V112, and proof of posting.

I returned to the post office on 4th September, this time with a copy of the V5c, only to be palmed off again with same answer, so I took screen grabs of DVLA's web pages showing the vehicle's tax status (not taxed) + instructions to take it all to the post office, as I had done - all to no avail.

I am now totally stuffed, the car's MOT'd and insured but I'm unable to tax it. If I get pulled over I risk a heavy fine or even loosing the car.

So - is it the present situation or is she just bloody useless at her job?

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or did it all go ok (post 20th March 2020)?

HELP!!!,

Dave

The tax exemption kicks in in the April of the year following 40 years (or it did for our '74 Stag).

MOT exemption occurs at the 40 year mark I think (but I get ours MOT'd for the reasons given many time on these pages).

If you are insured and Mot'd then you should be able to tax it normally, but of course it won't be free yet. Have a look on the DVLA pages at the .GOV website I'm sure it's all there if you look

48 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

The tax exemption kicks in in the April of the year following 40 years (or it did for our '74 Stag).

MOT exemption occurs at the 40 year mark I think (but I get ours MOT'd for the reasons given many time on these pages).

If you are insured and Mot'd then you should be able to tax it normally, but of course it won't be free yet. Have a look on the DVLA pages at the .GOV website I'm sure it's all there if you look

+1

The chancellors spring budget held AFTER the 40th anniversary of the car's manufacture was when Historic status cars became tax free. Do you know on what date your car was manufactured Dave ? ( It may make no difference though unless it was prior to April 1980).

Bob

As has been said, the tax exemption starts in the April following the 40th anniversary of the date the car was manufactured.

As a result, my '6', which was registered as a 1974 car (1st registered in Sept '74), was tax exempt in April 2014, as it was built in November 2013.

There was a forumite (sorry name has been erased from my brain) who could supply dates from the 'green book', a copy of which, he had.

OK

Did some digging and think this might help;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/419830/INF34_090315.pdf 

I think the owner of the green book is Derek, on the forum as Saffrontr

Hope that this helps

On 9/10/2020 at 8:50 AM, wjgco said:

OK

Did some digging and think this might help;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/419830/INF34_090315.pdf 

I think the owner of the green book is Derek, on the forum as Saffrontr

Hope that this helps

Thanks wjgco,

Just the info I needed, I've saved the PDF for 'er at the post office in case I should need it come April. Not sure what the green book is, is it a record what rolled off the production line? - fascinated!

Dave

15 hours ago, Britcarfan said:

Thanks wjgco,

Just the info I needed, I've saved the PDF for 'er at the post office in case I should need it come April. Not sure what the green book is, is it a record what rolled off the production line? - fascinated!

Dave

Yes

A record of what rolled of the roduction line and when.

The DVLA accept it as an accurate record.

If I can find any more info I'll post it here