Just a heads up for anyone thinking of trying BUR6ET plugs part no NG-3172.

The batch I recently bought came with just the threaded post and no bulb shaped top apparently this is the way they are supplied now,

Fortunately I have some spare screw on tops so my leads will still fit   

Brian

1 hour ago, brian -r said:

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of trying BUR6ET plugs part no NG-3172.

The batch I recently bought came with just the threaded post and no bulb shaped top apparently this is the way they are supplied now,

Fortunately I have some spare screw on tops so my leads will still fit   

Brian

That sounds odd, I would check they`re not fakes as there`s a lot of them about.

Stuart.

Just out of interest.  How often do people change their spark plugs?

My daily driver is a Fiat Grande Punto. Apart from oil and filter changes I do virtually no routine maintenance.

It now has 175,000 on the clock. (I bought it with 5,000)

I eventually changed the spark plugs after 145,000 miles (No… not a misprint…) simply because I thought that if there was a misfire it might kill the catalytic converter.The plugs that came out looked perfect, and I’m sure they could have gone on for a few more thousand miles.

Really was a case of “If it ain’t broke…”

Charlie.

13 minutes ago, qkingston said:

Hi Roger, you not used the Champion L82C as recommended by Green Spark Plug, any reason for that?

Regards

David

Hi David,

I think the L87 is the TRiumph recommended plug and sold by Moss.

It runs hotter than the L82

file:///C:/Users/Roger/Downloads/small-engine-catalogue-2018.pdf

https://www.championautoparts.co.uk/technical/light-vehicles/ignition/catalogues.html

What is the best to use for a standard enigne.?

Roger

33 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

My daily driver is a Fiat Grande Punto. Apart from oil and filter changes I do virtually no routine maintenance.

It now has 175,000 on the clock. (I bought it with 5,000)

I eventually changed the spark plugs after 145,000 miles (No… not a misprint…) simply because I thought that if there was a misfire it might kill the catalytic converter.The plugs that came out looked perfect, and I’m sure they could have gone on for a few more thousand miles.

Really was a case of “If it ain’t broke…”

Charlie.

And the prize for the closest when guessing which spark plugs were fitted goes to...

Mick Richards

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tim,

as I posted above.  

Roger

Thanks Roger..

Out of interest do people generally change there plugs based on time/mileage or a change in performance?

Tim

8 minutes ago, Tim D. said:

Thanks Roger..

Out of interest do people generally change there plugs based on time/mileage or a change in performance?

Tim

For me it is performance.

With the champions it begins to misfire after 4000-5000 miles.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

For me it is performance.

With the champions it begins to misfire after 4000-5000 miles.

Roger

Sorry Roger, you've confused me, you're saying the Champions break down after 4-5000 miles but you use Champions, is that as good as it gets?

I use NGK plugs (BP6HS) with out a problem in the 4a I usually obtain them from Euro car parts at least then they should be genuine and a good price when you use the discount code the part number if any ones interested is 408991390

Chris  

1 hour ago, qkingston said:

Sorry Roger, you've confused me, you're saying the Champions break down after 4-5000 miles but you use Champions, is that as good as it gets?

Hi David,

I have used NGK plugs since 1998 when the car got back on the road and they appeared to last well.

In 2018 when touring Ireland I found that a newish set of plugs would have trouble when applying power in second gear at low speed..

Fit new plugs and the problem disappears until 500 - 1000 miles later.

In late 2018 I fitted Champion L87 and they keep going for a lot longer (4000 - 5000 miles) before the same problem.

Back in late 2015 I overhauled the engine and fitted a Newman PH1 cam shaft that appears to work well.

Somebody posted on here a couple of years back that they had heard that new plugs have a thinner/reduced glazing on the ceramic and thus they do not like our wet engines. (anecdote)

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Never any problems with Bosch spark plugs,

the car came with WR8??(short electrodes), without any reason I swapped to WR78, to one with the 4 electrodes (X or G).

Total 30,000 miles +

Only to buy from NOS, but there are enough of them out there.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

I never have any problems with genuine NGK plugs, reading above about the ones supplied without the end caps and the reply from NGK seems to show the fake plug  problem is still going on.

Stuart.