Steering wheel painting

Hi All

As is the case, I've succumbed to a bit of mission creep in my steering column bush replacement & decided to refresh the steering wheel. I've already removed the original satin chrome (very tough finish but sadly pitted with rust) & intend to paint it Renault Silver as several others have on the forum.

Couple of questions

1) Do people then give a clear coat over this finish  - satin clear coat? - or just leave the silver finish from the can. I'm a bit concerned about eventual wear/scratches.

2) Has anyone tried a rubber/fabric dye on the fake leather foam rubber rim. Its still serviceable but has faded slightly.

Thanks

Alan   

I used a clear lacquer on the spokes Alan.  It’s holding up very well - did it last year (around 3000 miles ago).  

I didn’t touch the rubber as it is in good condition with a slight colour loss that I describe as patina. 

cheers

dave

Alan,

I would use a 2K clear paint (rattle can), it will give you a very durable coating.

You will gave plenty then, so maybe you can do some other bits at the same time?

Waldi

Thanks Gents

I sprayed the base metallic coat today & very pleased with the results apart from one area where rub down marks can just be seen. I will fill these with stopper & give another couple of coats before applying a clear coat.

I'll try the dye idea on the horn surround before I risk the rim as I have a new surround if it fails.

If it does fail then the rim will remain 'patina'd' & won't be out of place as theres plenty more !!

Alan

Just for info - it seems 'Renault Silver Grey Metallic' is no more - at least from Halfords. The product code is no longer listed on the website & it was on the clearance shelf in the store I visited.

I searched the forum for a paint code without success - does anyone have a code or another one thats a very close match. At some point I will need to do my steel wheels.

Alan  

Alan, I can highly recommend www.paints4U.com       I have had them mix many paints for me when building models of customers cars or model cars from yesteryear that I was asked to build. They are most knowledgeable, helpful, very quick and supply 400ml cans for around a tenner.

why not give them a call on 01472 483386, I bet they can help.

Rodders.