Fuel pump

I put this on the general forum but didn’t get answers. So this is a repeat, sorry about that. I’d like to know if many of us have been running original pumps with unleaded with no problems with the original AC diaphragm. Many thanks. JJC

I’ll post it on the side screen forum as well.

The pump on my TR4 is the one which was in place when I purchased the car in 1969.  Using a Moss kit, I replaced the valves in 2006, but not the diaphragm.

That's quite a long time!

Ian Cornish

Thanks for the replies. Sounds as though I can risk the original AC diaphragm to replace the failed after market one. Bearing in mind that a failed diaphragm allows the tank to drain petrol into the sump under gravity think I might investigate a petrol tap . JJC

The pushrod from the leaver to the diaphragm has a seal to the pump body.

So with a failed diaphram the petrol runs out by the drain and ventilation drill direct on the floor.

Because of this feature you can realize the fault direct and earlier.

I had no problem with the pump's diaphragm all the 11 years I own my TR4A,

changed it some years ago when I got the missing push rod seal and its retainer washer from a friend as present.

A tap is a goog idea for the case you habe to change the pump.

I fitted one but never needed it. Good idea to close it while out of season!

Edited by Z320